Silver dollars with Tinfoil Barbs?

Chad08

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have 5 silver dollars in a 55 Gallon tank. Would it be to crowded to add some tinfoil barbs...that is if they are compatible. Or should I add more silver dollars...any other suggestions would be nice. THanks

Silver dollars would be compatible with tinfoil barbs, but they get too large for a 55. I think it would be crowded if you add them. One or two more SD's wouldn't hurt although I think you have enough. I have 4 SD's in a 45 and it's already quite a task keeping up with the huge amount of waste they produce and the food they eat.

I would seriously not get anymore SDs for that 55 gallon........and tinfoil barbs get HUGE!!! I mean GIGANTOID!!!

5 SDs is already borderline too many fish for your 55.......are those the only mid/upper swimming fish in the tank??

Well I have already added 3 tinfoils barbs. So I now have 3 tinfoil barbs, 5 silver dollars, 1 pictus cat, 1 upside down cat, and a pleco...I have a 120 gallon with 2 oscars and a pleco...I read that tinfoil barbs and silver dollars are sometimes seen with oscars...so if my tinfoil barbs ever catch up to my oscars size which is about 3 inches I might put my 3 tinfoul barbs in the 120.

Tinfoil Barbs are notorious tank busters! They do grow quite quickly and are a food fish in the far east. That said, they are mild mannered and easy to please.

I too, believe you will have problems eventually with their size.

Most reactions

Back