Silly Question Really

purplepatti

Reaction score
But as i have never had sand in a tank before do i still use a gravel cleaner or does sand have to be cleaned with something else, ?

You can still use a gravel cleaner; you just don't poke it right down into the sand; you sort of swirl the dirt up with the end. Don't worry if you end up sucking sand into your bucket; just give it a quick rinse and tip it back in with the new water :good:

Hi!

Yes, you can still use a gravel cleaner. But now instead of sucking up the sand, as you do with gravel, just hover slightly over the sand so the dirt gets sucked up but not the sand.
smile.gif

Edit: You type fast Fluttermonth
laugh.gif

Thanks very much, will have to go out and buy a new gravel cleaner, annoying really as i had a fluval one put away that i put away so well i cant find the bleeding thing,

I don't mind if I take the surface sand off when I do mine. At £3 for a 15kg bag I just put a little extra on top if I accidentally take a bit out. :good:

I just hold the hose pipe above the sand and the suck the poop up, gravel vac wasn't strong enough for the monsters.

Yupp, just give it a hover over the sand and it does the job. You will get a bit of sand sucked up but as said just tip it back in the tank. Once you've done it a few times you become a bit of a master ;) ... Like me :shifty:

James.

Nightmare vacumning sand compared to the sheer satisfying ease of gravel, you'll probably suck some sand up every time and as already said you'll only be able to skim around the surface and unfortunately not be able to perform a proper deep clean of trapped mulm and detritus. Plants are the way to go for sand lovers, where the nitrate greedy roots help take care of things below substrate surface. When you're dumping the vacumned water, it's a bad idea to pour any sand you've sucked up down the sink or outdoor drains where it will accumulate and cause probs down the line.

Ive been using the Fluval gravel vac to clean the sand in my Edge, but I seem to be having some trouble, is it user error and lack of practice or should I just go out and buy a new siphon?

Most reactions

Back