Silicone Coming Away?

saboy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello all,

I got a bargain of the tank not long ago, but upon closer inspection once I had cleaned it I have noticed this....

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/imag0403s.jpg/

Does this look like the silicone come away and there is now dry water inside the bubbles? Dangerous I would imagine?

Thx!

I think you need a better pic. Can't make anything out

Just looks like poor silicone in the first place, allowing bubbles in it.

Probably not a killer, but may weaken the joint/seal. You need to wiegh up the costs & risks of leaving or repairing the tank or a wet floor!! :no:

However ways forward are

- Do nothing, assume all is OK. Joint is probably amply strong enough, especially if tank has already been used for a while.​
- Remove the glass sheet completely, remove all silcone and re-silcone. Not hard if enough prep and glass sheet holding clamps/fixtures are used to hold everything firmly.​
- Just re-silicone a fillet of silicone in the edge that has the issue. Probably the easiest option. Research on internet on how to make nice silicone fillets using masking tape and Fugenboys (yes I know it doesn't sound right, but look it up)​

Looks as if there is enough of a seal there to hold. Those are bubbles in the silicone, but they are sealed all the way around, so no harm there. Keep a watch to see if they get any closer to the inside edge. If they do then you will need to re-silicone that edge.

Looks as if there is enough of a seal there to hold. Those are bubbles in the silicone, but they are sealed all the way around, so no harm there. Keep a watch to see if they get any closer to the inside edge. If they do then you will need to re-silicone that edge.
coudnt have put it better myself

Awesome, thanks guys :)

I do want to keep the tank cause it was such a bargain, its a juwel lido (although fairly old) which I got for 8 quid! the light is bust though, its all rusted up. Though it came with filter, heater, and loads of NEW filter sponges which are worth more than the tank alone.

Most reactions

Back