Sigh, Another C02 Kit Issue.

Jaymz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I set up my Nutrafin Natural CO2 kit yesterday, used the supplied stabilizer and activator, just to get them out of the way, yet it's been 24 hours without a single bubble, there's a small amount of water backed up the pipe leading to the ladder. Is this normal? How do you keep water out of this pipe? And how long does it take for the CO2 to start coming through for the first time?

Cheers.

CO2 production should of started now, even with those packets, the water will be forced out automaticall ywhen the pressure builds a little bit. What temeperature water did you use? To warm (above 30C)or to cold cold (below 24C) then it will not work, you can test this with your finger, you will know.

Tested with my finger, seems too cold, will start again with 28-29C. How does the water stay at the right temp. after a while anyhow? The canister keep it warm, I assume?

EDIT: Does the height of the ladder within the tank have any bearing? My ladder is installed around the middle of the tank, that is to say there's about 3 to 4 inches of water above and below it, should it be closer to the surface? (It's in that place so as to accommodate the spraybar, but it could be moved to the other end, and moved up to the surface.

Thanks! :)

room temp is ok, and if it is in a cupboard then even better, some people put it on top of something like a light convertagar to keep it warm, i never have though. placement doesn't matter.

i wouldnt use the packets, even to get them out of the way, you will see much better results.

Well I just refilled with the provided pack before I read your reply, but also just popped out and got some dried yeast from Tesco, (Hope that'll work ok), if there's nothing going on over the next couple of hours I'll ditch that and use the DIY recipe.

The canister is inside the cupboard of my tank stand, which seems to be ok then. If nothing happens from now on I'll see if moving the ladder closer to the surface makes any difference.

sounds like you have an airlock. get the water out of the airline. should be fine after that. happens alot when the co2 generator/s are under the tank. can put in a on-return valve to help stop this

The water only backs up to the level of the aquarium water, what's the best way of getting it out? Whatever I try it just goes back up the pipe again. 'Tis getting a bit annoying.

Will any normal non-return valve do the trick?

Ok I've used the DIY recipe now, and the thing's bubbling away merrily. How many bubbles per minute should I be looking at? It's going at about 12 a minute at the moment, that sound ok?

Also, the bubbles collected at the top of the ladder as no part of it is out of the water, that ok as well?

Apologies for the barrage of newb questions :p

Thanks!

Tell me about it, two Nutrafin packets and nothing whatsoever, DIY kit and it's happy as Larry within half an hour.

Makes you wonder how they can sell the stuff...

My DIY kit is producing approx 60 bubbles per minute, the downside is that the canisters need replacing around every 14 days, if I add bicarb to the mix I think I could get around 4 weeks per canister and 20-30 bpm with the yeast I am using.

As for how many bubbles / min I think it's entirely dependant on your tank size, you want enough to keep you between 20 and 35 ppm of CO2.

Mine's up to a bubble every three seconds now. Going to do a check in a couple of days to see how the CO2 levels are going. Might consider using some Bicarb as well, see if it'll last a bit longer.

You don't really need bicarb in there unless you live in a soft water area. Hard water has the same effect on the process.

If you are getting through them fast, or not getting enough gas produced, try making your own DIY yeast reactor bottles using plastic 2 litre fizzy drink bottles.

Ade

Most reactions

Back