Sideways Clown Loaches?

leond

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought 2 clown loaches and am loving them :) I've heard its normal behaviour but can anyone tell me why they sometimes roll onto their side when they'r resting?

Do you sleep standing up? :) And get at least one more clown, more if you have the space.

Hi leond

My lfs told me that sometimes clown loach play dead. Its definately normal, my clown loach do it all the time.

Sam

A particular point about these fish (and others in their family) is that they don't have a swim bladder - if they don't swim they sink!

This is why they can and will lay on their side/back whatever. Most 'normal' fish have a swim bladder which means they can control their bouyancy in the water - float mid-water, remain upright etc.

Oh and another thing, they don't have scales either, which means if you use any medications you should pay attention to the amount used - in some cases it is appropriate to halve the normal dose (can't remember which, by the way!)

Top fish - my favourites by a mile. If you have room in your tank you should get a couple more!

Most reactions

Back