Sideboard strong enough?

LisaG

Reaction score
Hi,
New to forum, looking for some advice!

Just purchased this 64L tank. I was wanting it on this sideboard, but now I’m worrying that it may not be strong enough when filled with water. It’s directly over the drawer, so only the horizontal wood for support. Do you think it’s strong enough? See photos…

Upgrading to the tank from the bowl, so that won’t be there 😊

Attachments

• 605DA6D6-ABF0-4482-921A-E34CB17940F5.jpeg
    605DA6D6-ABF0-4482-921A-E34CB17940F5.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 67
  • 30F0B2FF-F74E-4121-955A-4F7310B9D726.jpeg
    30F0B2FF-F74E-4121-955A-4F7310B9D726.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 869F9E5F-1315-45FD-986C-20AC17A8E0A7.jpeg
    869F9E5F-1315-45FD-986C-20AC17A8E0A7.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 59
Welcome to TFF! It sould be strong enough, I think..... My 60l is on the side of a table, which is quite the same thing, so idk what could go wrong!

Welcome to TFF! It sould be strong enough, I think..... My 60l is on the side of a table, which is quite the same thing, so idk what could go wrong!
Fab!! I was thinking that, but always good to have a second opinion, as I usually make the wrong choice 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

64L = around 17 USG, which would weigh around 200 US pounds (around 91 kg) when filled, per the chart below

64L = around 17 USG, which would weigh around 200 US pounds (around 91 kg) when filled, per the chart below

But how would know of the wood can support that? It’s a second hand side board, so no instructions or anything with it?!

Can you post a few pics with the drawers removed?

Hmmm...if you are able, I think you should invest in a proper tank stand...they aren't very pricey...just my opinion

Can’t seem to get drawers out. They only come so far. This is a pic with drawer pulled out…
The wood is 1.5cm thick…
Hmmm...if you are able, I think you should invest in a proper tank stand...they aren't very pricey...just my opinion
wish I could. Just bought this side board,especially for the bowl, then decided I hated the bowl so upsized. My house is tiny, fitting in another piece of furniture isn’t an option. Might have to rethink the bigger tank..☹️

The fact that the drawers won't pull out all the way makes me wonder if it's already under a load without even having water in the tank. I imagine it'll weigh at least another 150-160 lbs with water added.

But it's hard to say from the pics alone. Looks IKEA-like, some of which are very sturdy, some not so much.

I think you could fill it, leave it full for a week without fish, and if everything goes well, then put the fish in?! I don't think there's going to be a problem...

You could always put a sheet of plywood (cut to size and painted) on top, 1/2" or 5/8" thickness. Plywood has a decent shear/bending strength (your sideboard is likely particle board or MDF and is poor in this regard, especially if it gets damp) and will transfer more of the load to the vertical members in your sideboard. Plywood spanning the entre width would look the best, but having a shorter length piece that 'overhangs' the vertical members at the sides of the center drawer by several inches would also work.

The fact that the drawers won't pull out all the way makes me wonder if it's already under a load without even having water in the tank. I imagine it'll weigh at least another 150-160 lbs with water added.

But it's hard to say from the pics alone. Looks IKEA-like, some of which are very sturdy, some not so much.
Agree. Although I’ve now taken the tank off, and drawers still won’t come out. Don’t understand it.
You could always put a sheet of plywood (cut to size and painted) on top, 1/2" or 5/8" thickness. Plywood has a decent shear/bending strength (your sideboard is likely particle board or MDF and is poor in this regard, especially if it gets damp) and will transfer more of the load to the vertical members in your sideboard. Plywood spanning the entre width would look the best, but having it 'overhang' the vertical members at the sides of the center drawer by several inches.
I was actually just thinking this very thing!! It’s the fact the tank is not covering any of the vertical parts that worries me. Plywood would be perfect. We were also were not very keen on the white top of the sideboard, so this will fix that issue too 😃

Agree. Although I’ve now taken the tank off, and drawers still won’t come out. Don’t understand it.

I was actually just thinking this very thing!! It’s the fact the tank is not covering any of the vertical parts that worries me. Plywood would be perfect. We were also were not very keen on the white top of the sideboard, so this will fix that issue too 😃
Think of when you load up a 'cheap' bookcase with books and it then sags. Another issue is if it starts to sag, there will be stress transferred to the tank, which may cause bigger problems.

Think of when you load up a 'cheap' bookcase with books and it then sags. Another issue is if it starts to sag, there will be stress transferred to the tank, which may cause bigger problems.
This was what I pictured soon as I put it on.. never thought about it before I picked up the tank, which is typical for me…🤦🏻‍♀️😅

Most reactions

Back