Sick Paradise Fish

Realpedro

Reaction score
OK fish doctors, I need some medical advice. My first sick fish!

I have a male paradise fish that developed white cottony areas on the body. It has also spread to the fins. Looks like a fungal infection to me.

I put him in a quarantined 10 gallon tank and have been treating with API Melafix and Pimafix together. One is supposed to be anti-fungal and the other anti-bacterial.

After two days, he seems to be doing worse. The cottony area has spread, turned greyish, and covers the entire back half of his body. His long flowy fins are in tatters. Not sure the little fellow is going to make it, but I'd like to do anything I can to help him pull through.

So, should I be doing something different or something additional? My friend told me to add a few tablespoons of marine salt to the tank. I'm thinking of trying that tomorrow, but not sure how a paradise fish tolerates a little salt.

Also, the other fish in the original tank all appear to be healthy and the water quality seems fine. I've read that unclean tank conditions are a key cause of fungal infections, but the tank seems in good condition.

I'd say you might want to use Mela/Pimafix alongside some other kind of medicine, I like using all-in-ones as they tend to be a bit stronger and more effective (in my experience). Just make sure to use less Mela/Pimafix if you use it alongside something and dose your tank with Stress Coat+ or equivalent. Having some hiding places help keep the fish from being stressed, like some floater fake plants. Most freshwater fish can tolerate aquarium salt when used in small doses as a medical aid.

Paradise fish are labyrinth fish and neither melafix or pimafish should be used with labyrinth fish. They contain aromatic oils which can damage the labyrinth organ.

Stress coat is a water conditioner which contains aloe vera. If used it should only be added to the new water at a water change rather than used as a medication.

70% daily water changes, and I use aquarium salt (which is probably cheaper). I use the dosage provided on the packaging.
I agree. Water changes, lots of them, are the first thing to try, maybe with salt. Make sure it is pure salt with no iodine or anti caking agents. Dose at 1 tablespoon (15 ml spoon) per 5 gallons (20 litres). Dissolve in a bit of tank water before adding it to the tank.

If that doesn't work, you need a broad spectrum treatment, but as we are in different countries I don't know what is available to you - other American members will be able to suggest a treatment.

Don't accept this as a definitive diagnosis by any means, as I'm far from an expert in diseases, but this sounds a lot like columnaris to me. A nasty bacterial infection, it starts with patches that develop cottony, fungus-y appearance, and erodes fins as it progresses too. Since anti-fungal treatments didn't appear to help, and fins began to rot, I'd suspect it even more.

Very glad you quarantined him, especially if it does turn out to be columnaris. Treatment for that is an antibiotic that works on the specific bacteria causing it, but I'm also not in the US and don't know what treatments are available or best to use - and as I say, I might be completely wrong about it being columnaris. Just have a read around about it, have a look at the images as horrible as they are, because you can see the fish in front of you and see how the illness progressed. There are some distinctive features with columnaris that can help you pinpoint if this is what you're dealing with. Please update us when you can.

Most reactions

Back