Sick neon tetra

Equiipiebald

Reaction score
So Ive has this little dude for nearly a year and he’s always had a growth near his mouth however this has not spread to any other neons or fish in the tank . He very thin and small compared to other fish . Anyone know what this could be ?
?
B41A6732-954F-436F-AB62-792A72EF13FA.png
0C59393F-458C-4F65-B56F-0F25C4BEC05F.jpeg

This is a new disease popping up in neons. 3 of mine had it, as well as some of @Deanasue 's

If he is able to eat you can leave him, but when he stops being able to eat properly you should euthanize him

One of my neons has a piece of its mouth missing but it isnt red like in the picture.

Everytime I go to my LFS or any pet store all of the neons have ick and they have so much of it.

Me too. They have become so inbred that they are susceptible to disease and death more then previously. The roles have reversed with cardinals being the more hardy one nowadays

That is what I have noticed at both Petco and Pet Smart. I know Petco medically treats them since I pointed it out to an employee and a manager came over and stated he would be treating the fish and put up a sign on the tank. The LFS neons looked very pale lately too. I have been buying glow light tetra since I have not lost a one yet

That is what I have noticed at both Petco and Pet Smart. I know Petco medically treats them since I pointed it out to an employee and a manager came over and stated he would be treating the fish and put up a sign on the tank. The LFS neons looked very pale lately too. I have been buying glow light tetra since I have not lost a one yet
IME petco is much better than petsmart. When I point out an issue they immediately work to fix it, while petsmart told me that to treat the pond snail infestation they had they were using copper, and yet weren't sure why the nerite and mystery snails were dying :rofl: :rolleyes: I told them the copper kills all snails, not just the pests and they didnt believe me. They also (at least the ones near me) often dont remove dead fish for days

IME petco is much better than petsmart. When I point out an issue they immediately work to fix it, while petsmart told me that to treat the pond snail infestation they had they were using copper, and yet weren't sure why the nerite and mystery snails were dying :rofl: :rolleyes: I told them the copper kills all snails, not just the pests and they didnt believe me. They also (at least the ones near me) often dont remove dead fish for days
I have noticed that too, The pet smart is close to an hour away and their tanks seem dirty and yes it reminded me of Walmart when they had fish. Pet smart did have a larger selection the tanks and other things than Petco but Petco fish looked healthier and the tanks were very clean.

I have noticed that too, The pet smart is close to an hour away and their tanks seem dirty and yes it reminded me of Walmart when they had fish. Pet smart did have a larger selection the tanks and other things than Petco but Petco fish looked healthier and the tanks were very clean.
Yeah. For about 9 months petsmart near me was doing really good. The guy who was working there was pretty knowledgeable, definitely not as good as he could be but still way better, but when he got another job it went waaaaay downhill

I agree. I won’t buy any fish from Petsmart. Petco seems fine. I just ordered 16 neons. Hoping from a breeder they will be healthier and larger. They have all been tiny lately. My glowlights do great!

I agree. I won’t buy any fish from Petsmart. Petco seems fine. I just ordered 16 neons. Hoping from a breeder they will be healthier and larger. They have all been tiny lately. My glowlights do great!
My glow lights are doing fine too, I have not lost one, how much more were the neons from the breeder? I would like to add some to my neon shoal.

My glow lights are doing fine too, I have not lost one, how much more were the neons from the breeder? I would like to add some to my neon shoal.
I got 16 for $25 plus $12 shipping. I’m hoping they’ll be better stock. Lfs have just been so tiny. I’ve never lost a glowlight either. If these don’t work I’m sticking with the glowlights. :)

I got 16 for $25 plus $12 shipping. I’m hoping they’ll be better stock. Lfs have just been so tiny. I’ve never lost a glowlight either. If these don’t work I’m sticking with the glowlights. :)
That is not a bad price, you will have to let me know how well they do. Where did you buy them from?

Most reactions

Back