Loughrea

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this could be.
These are my last 2 Platies.
Already lost 3 and 10 Neons.
Help if you can.

Thanks

Sickfish1.jpg

The poor fish is covered in white spot (Ich). I would suggest you get some medication and start treating your tank. Also it may be worth while having a read up on fish diseases so you know what to look for, rather than letting it get to that advanced stage then asking "whats wrong"

looks like white spot
my prefered treatment is to increase the temp and add protozin as per the instructions, its a treatment course of approx 1 week

edit:
just noted you are in USA, not sure what med is available there for ich, but whatever it is get some, its still early afternoon there isnt it? get some now, treat the whole tank, cross your fingers - good luck

edit2:
oh and... if you do lose all your fish, keep on with the treatment course, and start a fishless cycle before restocking slowly and carefully

The poor fish is covered in white spot (Ich). I would suggest you get some medication and start treating your tank. Also it may be worth while having a read up on fish diseases so you know what to look for, rather than letting it get to that advanced stage then asking "whats wrong"

It just started in the last 2 days.
My Dad gave me these fish, and they were in a horriably dirty tank.

It doesn't look like Ich, it looks more like fine powdered dust.

here's another picture.

I have some coppersafe and some other kind of ich meds.
Would that help, if it's not Ich.

Thanks for your help.

Sickfish2.jpg

it is pretty well advanced ich if it was clear 2 days ago
the platty on the left looks more fungal than ich but could be a blur to the piture

if you know and recognise ich, you are the one who can see the fish more accurately so are better placed to diagnose, your first pics i would def say was ich
the newer one i'm not so sure

also not sure about coppersafe and whether its ok to use if i isnt going to be ich...

sorry wasnt that helpful really was i :)

Here is a better picture than the one above, and also a picture of them on Monday.

sickfish3.jpg

This past Monday

100_1687small-1.jpg

I guess they did have Ich after all. All the fish died, so
now I have a empty tank. :( :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

How do i do a fishless cycle, that is half way through a with fish cycle?

Sorry R.I.P. bless them.
Go the the biginners section they will help you, good luck.

I guess they did have Ich after all. All the fish died, so
now I have a empty tank. :( :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

How do i do a fishless cycle, that is half way through a with fish cycle?

You still need to treat your tank for the white spot you never dealt with prior to the fish dying. Ich is always present just not always visible. Once the treatment is complete then start your tank a fresh.

I used Coppersafe from Mardel to treat the tank.
The directions call for 1 teaspoon for every 4 gallon of water.
I took out the carbon first. Then put in 2-1/2 teaspoons.
Treats water for 1 month.

So I need to let this medicine stay in the tank for the required time,
then do a water change, then start my cycle over. Right?

Or, would it be easier to compeletly clean the tank, and then start with a fishless cycle?

Most reactions

Back