Sick Female Guppy, Please Help.

Nastenka

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently posted a thread wondering whether my male guppies had some fin rot (http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/332556-please-help-diagnose-my-guppies/page__gopid__2761645&#entry2761645).

Once I read the replies I stopped treating my tank with Interpet's Number 8 Anti Fungus and Finrot (active ingredient: phenxyethanol 40,000mg/100mls) by replacing the carbon sponge and doing a water change (6 days after the medication was started). It seemed that the meds affected one of my black neon tetras - he lost almost all of his colour, but seems to be okay other than that.

I also noticed that my female guppy's (I have 4 males and 1 female, which I know is a terrible ratio) tail started to look as if it had some jagged edges (before the meds it was perfect!) and over the course of a few days it looked as if it was getting clumped together. She can't swim properly now (sort of jerks sideways instead). The tail is now even more clumped (alost like someone's put glue through it) and has red specs on the edges.

I have remembered that this exact same thing happened after I used the medication last time to treat fin rot (about 3-4 months ago) - my female then actually died. Is this medication off? Or known to be bad? What can I do to help the female? I don't have a hospital tank and won't be able to get one within the next few days :(

Also, after looking at other picture of fin rot online it seems to me that one of my guppy males definitely does have it. What can I do to help him as well?

Please help. Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone is reading this but I really need help urgently. The guppy has taken a huge turn for the worse. When I came home tonight I found her lying on her side at the very surface of the tank (at first I thought maybe she was dead but then I noticed her breathing). Her gills have really flared out, but I don't see any ohter "pine coning" on her body. It looks like her tail/spine have bent around (horizontally) towards her head. I think it looks like she won't make it, but I want to try and make her comfortable (I don't have a quarrantine tank, unfortunately) if I can. Would it be a good idea to euthanize her? How do I do this?

I'm also worried about the other fish in the tank, though all of them look fit and healthy at the moment (apart from some rips and tears in the male guppies' tails).

Please please please help.

Are you able to post some photo's? Do you realise there's an emergency section in this forum?

The interpet remedies are well tested so won't be off, unless it's out of date.

One thing to note about guppies is that they are massively inter-breed, so it's not unusual to have weak ones.

Most reactions

Back