Sick Dwarf Rainbows

ArielC

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought four rainbowfish 6 months ago from my local big al's. These are the first fish deaths since then. The first time a rainbow died, maybe 2-3 weeks ago, it was looking listless and gasping at the surface of the water for air. It had odd coloration that had developed maybe 2-3 days before death, which was dark gray ( he wasnt fuzzy) and his stomach had become a straight line as opposed to the normal rounded underside. His fins were also slightly frayed. Since then one more fish has died, (this morning) or the same fast acting symptoms. Another rainbowfish has also developied these symptoms but didnt eat as much this morning, and the other fish in the tank have been chasing him away, a sure sign of close to death sickness. The other remaining rainbow fish looks perfectly fine, but im afraid he will develop the disease soon. The life expectancy after the fish has developed these symptoms has been approximately 2 days.

The tank has been set up for six months, is at 80 degrees F, and fully planted.

He does not look swolen, he is not fuzzy, there is nothing protruding from the anus, and no visible parasites. He is not bleeding or filmy looking.

My aquarium atlas suggests Fish Tuberculosis, but I just want a second opinion.

Thanks, Ariel

rainbow1.JPG

rainbow123.JPG

this is what he would normally look like, except preetier ; :fun:

aoh, and i forgot to say i used some marycyn a few days ago to see if it was a bacterial infection, but it didnt help.

Attachments

• rainbowfish_DwfNeon_Copywri.gif
    rainbowfish_DwfNeon_Copywri.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 46
When I turned the light on this morning, the sick rainbow just kinda freaked out, but he didnt die, he is just gasping at the bottom.

I know some parasites can cause a fish to lose weight, for now i would treat your tank for parasites like skin flukes with the flicking and grey colour slime on the fish.

It does sound like gill/ skin flukes from your description and some other sources, but one question, why only one fish at a time? the other fish look fine. I would also like to know what to treat with, I have some malachite green/ formalin which treats for parasites, but i dont know if this is the right med.

I'm abit concerned about the sunken in belly, so watch the others for signs of that.
Sometimes it takes a while for them to spread to other fish, good luck.
The best med i have found through fish keepers on here is this med, as the waterlife med for flukes isn't that good, tryed it my self, whats your ph.

Sites playing up will find it later.

Thanks so much wilder :] youve been a big help.

My ph is 6.8

The fish is still alive after about four days, and looks a little bit better, so their might be some hope for him. :]

Ok good luck, if you do get that med, you will have to get some bogwood in the tank to get your ph to neutal 7 ph in the tank.

Most reactions

Back