Sick Bolivian ram - sunken belly and cloudy eyes

Cromid

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a pair of Bolivian ram in my community tank.
Had them over a year but last few weeks I haven’t seen the female much. I eventually have and notice she’s got a sunken belly and cloudy eyes. Because she’s been hiding I haven’t seen her poop, but manages to catch her and try feed her but she’s not even responding to food. I think she’s almost blind at this point!

I’m guessing some kind of parasite.. but do you guys have any suggestion on how to treat, or if I can!

Thanks

Really sorry. I used to love and keep Rams but I've grown to hate keeping them (possibly due to my own lack of experience at the time) because after a few weeks they all ended up pretty much like your discription. Water parameters were all good but i still did 50% water changes. I tried raising the temperature, adding salt but I always ended up with the same frustration, one day, of finding my beautiful Ram floating upside down. It was my own fault but nevertheless annoying. Never tried getting Rams again even though I am much more experienced. I'm sure people here have great solutions and good experiences with Rams! I just wanted to share my experience with them haha.
Good luck tho!!!

Really sorry. I used to love and keep Rams but I've grown to hate keeping them (possibly due to my own lack of experience at the time) because after a few weeks they all ended up pretty much like your discription. Water parameters were all good but i still did 50% water changes. I tried raising the temperature, adding salt but I always ended up with the same frustration, one day, of finding my beautiful Ram floating upside down. It was my own fault but nevertheless annoying. Never tried getting Rams again even though I am much more experienced. I'm sure people here have great solutions and good experiences with Rams! I just wanted to share my experience with them haha.
Good luck tho!!!
I’m sorry to hear that! We’re yours a Bolivian aswell or the Electric Blues/Germans? I heard Bolivian are hardier and less aggressive/picky with water temp which is why I chose them.
They’ve been great and my water parameters are always the same - got quite a nice balance with them and water quality, so I’m unsure where this has come from.
Only thing new in the tank is started feeding frozen Daphnia recently.

I’m sorry to hear that! We’re yours a Bolivian aswell or the Electric Blues/Germans? I heard Bolivian are hardier and less aggressive/picky with water temp which is why I chose them.
They’ve been great and my water parameters are always the same - got quite a nice balance with them and water quality, so I’m unsure where this has come from.
Only thing new in the tank is started feeding frozen Daphnia recently.
Mine were electric german rams indeed. Well I guess I should've bought Bolivian Rams haha. I would try makimg 50% water changes daily or every other day? Others here might suggest some medicine too or aquarium salt.

Most reactions

Back