Shrimp tank

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
This is my shrimp tank which used to be my betta tank until the last one died. I have been moving shrimps from the main tank to this one as I find them.
I have just replanted and totally rearranged the tank, but this is what it looked like a month ago. I still have the wood with Java moss and frogbit on the surface, but the planted water sprite was only temporary and has now been replaced. I also have a small piece of wood soaking (it refuses to sink) and some anubias bonsai waiting to be attached. The filter had a 'footlet' over the intake to stop baby shrimps being sucked up, which has now been replaced with fine black net. There are also more shrimps in there now as I keep finding them in the main tank.
Once the new plants have settled and the wood has finally sunk I'll post more photos.

Shrimp tank.jpg

I have just replanted and totally rearranged the tank, but this is what it looked like a month ago. I still have the wood with Java moss and frogbit on the surface, but the planted water sprite was only temporary and has now been replaced. I also have a small piece of wood soaking (it refuses to sink) and some anubias bonsai waiting to be attached. The filter had a 'footlet' over the intake to stop baby shrimps being sucked up, which has now been replaced with fine black net. There are also more shrimps in there now as I keep finding them in the main tank.
Once the new plants have settled and the wood has finally sunk I'll post more photos.

View attachment 113815
Looks lovely :wub: I cheated on the driftwood sink - after two days in a bucket I just put it in the tank with a Pleco pipe cave on top of it :rofl:
MVIMG_20200821_212041.jpg

The downside to a 30 cm cubic tank is there's not much floor space so the piece of wood is tiny and I'm scared a weight would fall of and crush another plant. I cannot believe how long it's taking to sink - it's been in the bucket 2 weeks so far. It's almost there, it's now floating diagonally with just a small corner sticking out of the water.

Oh so close!! You've some patience :thumbs: I'm such a fan of sand in tanks but out of a want to learn - is sand a must for shrimp?

Oh so close!! You've some patience :thumbs: I'm such a fan of sand in tanks but out of a want to learn - is sand a must for shrimp?
Gravel is fine for shrimps. But vacuuming gravel is essential (I don't vacuum my sand) which means having to be very careful about sucking up shrimplets. when I started my shrimp tank I had sand with a river of gravel running through it. It was such a pain keeping the gravel clean I took it out.

Last edited:
Very nice, look forward to more pictures.

When I find the space, a nano shrimp tank will be on the cards. I can watch them happily for ages.

This tank is easier than my big tank, just 1 B&Q black bucket to remove old water. Then I have to go through it with a jug to look for shrimps. There are not many baby shrimps yet, but I hoovered up 9 at the last but one water change.
With nerite snails in the tank there is a lot of snail poop to clean out, and I found some yesterday cascading down the moss. There are 2 nerites at the moment, young ones just purchased, and when they get bigger one will go in the main tank.

It's an Aquael clip on LED.

Those leddy lights are actually great for plants, I have had loads of those on pretty much all of my nano tanks.

There are two types, one being a leddy tube which you can clip on the underside (or use zip ties to fasten onto) of the tank lid or as essays one, fits on top of tank glass at back.

Both are real good.

Not the cheapest but definitely worth it imho.

Is the water sprite the wispy looking floating plant?
The floating plants is Amazon frogbit.
The water sprite is the plant rooted in the sand. The plants that were in before the betta died were looking a bit algae-ridden so I removed them. But knowing that shrimps like plants I moved the wood with the moss from the main tank, then as I read that water sprite could be grown planted I decided to use some of that from the main tank till I decided what to use in the shrimp tank. Until I thinned it out a couple of weeks ago, there was a lot of water sprite floating in the main tank.

The floating plants is Amazon frogbit.
The water sprite is the plant rooted in the sand. The plants that were in before the betta died were looking a bit algae-ridden so I removed them. But knowing that shrimps like plants I moved the wood with the moss from the main tank, then as I read that water sprite could be grown planted I decided to use some of that from the main tank till I decided what to use in the shrimp tank. Until I thinned it out a couple of weeks ago, there was a lot of water sprite floating in the main tank.

Tank really looks lovely. I really like the frogbit :wub:

Most reactions

Back