Shrimp Names

Junior Gent

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive relatively new to keeping fish, ive had my tank since Christmas, i cycled it and its now running like a dream. I previously had some cherry shrimp in there, as much as i loved them my crown tail betta loved them more, and i lost the lot. So after leaving it a while ive decided to get some larger shrimps that i hope wont look so tasty. I picked up a couple of large brown shrimps that have a wide cream stripe down their back. They have alot of 'hands' that work like mad at the front which i find hilarious. They were labelled on the tank at my LFS as Bamboo / wood shrimps. But the assistant also said they are called rock shrimps too. Is this just differant names for the same shrimps or are they actually differant species.

Thanks JG

I always knew them as Rock Shrimps and yet more recently they seem to have been changed to Bamboo Shrimps. They are two different common names for the same species though :good:

You arent near High Wycombe are you? I have a habit of referring to them as Rock Shrimp then having to correct myself when customer points out the label says Bamboo Shrimp lol

no im afraid im up in Yorkshire. Thanks for your swift response

Where in yorkshire are you? I bought some wonderful Amanos from a place in Bawtry. I don't think I've ever seen any bamboo shrimp round here. My amano's are HUGE :D I love them to bits but it's a bit like a bunch of godzillas wandering round compared to my wee cherries :hyper:

Hi, i was after some of those bamboo shrimp but after looking them up on the web it said you needed a large tank (55 gallons)as they are filter feeders. What size tank do you have and are they doing fine?

Most reactions

Back