Shrimp disappeared

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have a dedicated cherry red shrimp tank that I cull for less colorful shrimp every few weeks. These less colorful shrimp go into a tank with white mountain minnows and celestial pearl danios. I generally see 20 or more culled shrimp at any one time in this tank. However, lately I only see one or two at any given moment. There are no dead bodies on the substrate. I have never seen the fish in this tank attack and eat the shrimp. My dedicated cherry red shrimp tank is thriving. Any ideas about the collapse of the population?

I’ve learned three things from my time keeping shrimp:
1. They hide a lot
2. Because they hide a lot, they can easily die without you seeing the body
3. BUT because they hide a lot, they could also easily still be alive and they’re just hiding.

I’ve had multiple occasions where I thought one (or even 2 or 3) of my shrimp had died, only for it to reappear months later, sitting in the middle of the tank as if nothing had happened.

Do you provide somewhat the same disposition required to help in that tank ?

The culled fellows are treated just like their prettier relatives. Bacter AE, Shrimp King Complete and bug bites. Water temp and other parameters are nearly identical.

Something similar happened to me recently, my 40+ neos just evaporated and it’s been weeks and I have to sign of them.

Most reactions

Back