Should I Get A Gourami?

samiam9818

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was considering getting a few dwarf gouramis for my 40 gallon tank once it's done cycling, but after reading some background info on the species I'm not too sure anymore.

Are they really that prone to disease?
Or are they fairly easy to care for? I won't have a quarantine tank and don't want to risk their possible tank mates becoming infected.

Have you had mostly good luck or bad luck with these fish?

They look amazing and seem to have a good temperament so i'd love to have them be part of my community tank. I just want to make sure that I will be able to provide a good home for them.

Thanks!

well yes, they can get disease and are pretty prone to getting it, however they are lovely fish. just get some med for it if you choose to get them and make sure you have a hospital tank if it all goes wrong.

i personally would advice some honey gouramis as they are really cute and have a great personality and are far by the closest fish ive become atached to. you can also get red robin gouramis which are honey gouramis but red, so you can add a bit of colour ;)

but totally up to you x iv never kept dwarf gouramis as they are a bit big for my little 48ltr (10 uk gallons) but im sure they are lovely fish, very pretty too.

(still love my honeys more though :p) i think they look more natural coloured :rolleyes:

let us now what you choose and if you need anymore advice dont hesitate to either reply or pm me at any time :)

Go to a good lfs and make sure you have stable water stats and a mature tank
never buy one that looks the slightest bit listless or has any mark on there body that shouldn't be there and you should be ok

I always treat mine with interpet anti internal bacteria meds before adding them to the main tank
I've only lost 1 dwarf gourami since i've had them and that was due to getting accidently squished during tank maintenance - not disease

I have always had bad luck with dwarf gourami, they always get pop-eye. Its the only fish ive had so far that ive not had much luck with. :crazy:

But they are a nice fish

Mine were susceptible to dropsy. I agree with the comment about honey gouramis. Mine are happy and healthy ( even survived an episode of ich in my tank without being infected)

I am in Mexico and never had any problems with dwarf gouramis, apart from a case in which I had too many gouramis in one tank and the lowest one in the hierarchy got sick because of stress. I am now keeping one with other shoaling fish, and he is doing well.

Most reactions

Back