Should I continue to use this as a tank stand?

dpinkert97

Reaction score

I bought this table as a stand for a 55 gallon aquarium and it has been about 2 months. I haven't noticed any give in the table yet, but after seeing how much a 55 gal tank weighs when full, I'm very apprehensive to continue using it. Any thoughts?

Are you saying the 55 gallon tank is sitting empty on the table without any give? I'd imagine the table would not be able to hold with the water in it.

It only weighs 12lbs so I would say it's not going to hold a tank once you start filling it. Better to upgrade to a proper aquarium stand that's rated for your aquarium size.

Yeah, I think that's asking for disaster. You could probably contact walmart and ask for the load-bearing specification of the table. But a 55 gallon aquarium is going to weigh upwards of 600 pounds once filled up and stocked. That's about the weight of three to four grown adults.

To me, "aquarium stand" and "folds for easy travel" just aren't words that should ever go together.

To clarify, I have had the tank filled on the table for roughly 2-3 months and I haven't noticed any give regarding the table. However, I am worried that the table simply isn't designed to hold such an enormous amount of weight. At least, not for long.

I bought this table as a stand for a 55 gallon aquarium and it has been about 2 months. I haven't noticed any give in the table yet, but after seeing how much a 55 gal tank weighs when full, I'm very apprehensive to continue using it. Any thoughts?
Is this post for real...really? We have this exact table and use it to tailgate at the beach and football games. If the post is real, then yes, you need an aquarium specific stand for a 55-gallon aquarium. The risk of failure, especially if there are any children around is unimaginable.

Most reactions

Back