Should I Be Worried About My Tanks Silicone?

Ozzie Boss

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Good day everyone, so I’ve had this used 50 gallon for 5 years now and it just occurred to me that the silicon seals at the front of the tank are thinning out compared to the back side. Should I be concerned? It’s heavily planted and I wouldn’t want to tear the whole thing down, but I’d much rather do that before I have 50 gallons on the floor of my bedroom. Photos below, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9854.jpeg
    IMG_9854.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9853.jpeg
    IMG_9853.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9852.jpeg
    IMG_9852.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 39
Some of those spots are dangerously close to the seams, I'd not feel very comfortable that those seals would last another year

Any idea how old the tank is?

The silicon looks old and is starting to turn cream/ white, which is an indication it could be breaking down. Good quality silicon will not be cream or white and should be firm but slightly squishy when touched. If the silicon is hard and not squishy, and bits can be broken off, then it probably needs replacing.

Air bubbles in the silicon where the glass meets is a bad sign too. That is something to watch for in old or degrading silicon. Hard silicon that is cream or white and has air bubbles is a concern. The pictures don't really show any major bubbles but do something that is developing and they show cream coloured silicon.

If the silicon hasn't changed in the 5 years you have had the tank, it's probably ok. But if it has gotten noticeably worse over the last 6-12 months, then think about resealing it or replacing it.

As a general rule, if the silicon is failing, it usually starts to leak a small amount where the silicon has gone. Tanks don't normally just drop a panel of glass and dump 500 litres of water on the floor. They do occasionally but its very rare.

Most reactions

Back