Should i be using two filters

16gallontanker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is 2 filters good or are they working Against each other and doing more harm than good?

Attachments

• 20240617_201211.jpg
    20240617_201211.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 25
When I have space and resources, I prefer two filters. I have tanks with three.

just about all my tanks run 2 filters...

Both filters will be seeded and working. When the time comes to clean, you clean one, and leave the other for a couple of weeks so your cycle isn't compromised. Plus, you get the advantage of better water movement, which unless you keep fancy Bettas, is always welcome.
This being the internet, there's always someone who will chime in and say filtration is the devil's work and no one needs that, but for 95% of fish, that doesn't hold up. A good filter does two things - it provides a good medium for beneficial bacteria and archaea, and it provides good water flow.

Hello 16. Mechanical filtration doesn't do a very good job keeping the tank water clean. It doesn't remove enough dissolved waste material to maintain the best water conditions. With such a small tank, you'll just need to remove and replace half the tank water a couple of times a week. If you're willing to change the tank water often enough, you won't need expensive filters.

My 2 small tanks all have a power filter rated at least twice the size of the tanks and a sponge filter rated at least for the same size.

Most reactions

Back