Shocked Jawfish?

laurieo33

Reaction score
Hello all,
I think I know the answer to this question already but I'm an optimist and figured I'd throw it out there in hopes that someone has had a similar experience.
I have a 30Gal salwater tank, all levels are normal I checked them myself before I went out to pick up my new, been waiting for ever and ever to get, Pearly Jawfish. I brought along a sample as well so that I was guaranteed 7 days for the life of the fish.
Anyhow, I brought my precious little angel home and let it float for awhile introducing my water in a bit at a time for about 45 minutes. I then released it, minus the water and the light off and it made one lap around the tank and laid in the corner and has not moved for at least 4 hours now. It's not panting and is making NO attempt to find a suitable home.
My other fish are being quite nice to it, not bothering it or bullying it, although the Dragon Goby seems a little sad for it because it kind of hangs behind the jawfish wondering why it's just laying on the bottom.
I do have a DSB suitable for a jawfish as they are my favorites, so all I can think of is that I did not acclimate it properly. :-(
Also my water temp usually stays around 76 degrees and my other fishies are: Royal Gramma (hubby's idea, grrr..) Clownfish ( the nemo kind-osciallis?) Dragon Goby, Emerald crab and a chocolate chip starfish. What do you guys think?

Update*!**!*
Where my little jawfish decided to lay has now attempted to dig a hole in the corner of the tank to shelter himself/herself. There are plenty of bits and pieces for him, but it's kind of weird that it is not burrowing under one of the many live rocks as my goby has taken up residence on the other side of the tank. There may be hope yet for my jawfish. Any replies are greatly appreciated though. Anyone a jawfish keeper?

Might post down in the marine section. Not as many saltwater keepers venture up into this part of the forum. I don't know much about jawfish, but your water could have been too different than the store's. Hope he pulls through for you.

ugh..I didn't realize there was a specific section. Thank you kindly though for the info. :)
I am off to check now.

Most reactions

Back