Shoaling Companion For My Betta

Ani

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a male betta and a bristlnose catfish swimming around in my 30 litre tank. It has been cycling well now for 4 months and is planted with bogwood and rocks. I'd like to add a group of six small shoaling fish to add colour and I'm thinking about a some type of tetra - possibly Cardinals. Is this a match made in heaven or hell?

30 litres is only about 7 gallons. your tank is absolutely, completely full. in fact, that bristlenose catfish (bristlenose pleco) is going to be too much for that tank once he grows up. plecos are messy fish that poo incredible amounts.

if you can, i suggest that you ask your LFS about "otocinculus catfish" or "otos". these are smaller, cleaner relatives of your bristlenose. if your LFS has some or can get some, buy ~3 otos TWO WEEKS after they get to the store. otos ship very poorly, but if they can live two or more weeks at the LFS, they should be fine to bring home.

when you get the otos, try to sell/exchange/return your bristlenose to the LFS.

otos are a bit twitchy, but they like each other's company. its not exactly what you were looking for, but i bet your betta will find them to be interesting tankmates.

Most reactions

Back