Shipment done...

I have only shipped within the country. But I have bought fish shipped from other countries. This include S. America, China and Indonesia. These fish usually arrive within 24 hours of being shipped. The key is to have all the needed clearances etc. in place as required. Always follow the rules for sending both our of the country of origina and the country or arrival.

I have had more domestic shipments go awry than anything coming in from overseas. But I also ship more boxes than I receive. The one thing I have learned is always to pack for there to be a delay, especially if needing to add heat or cold packs.

Also, it doesn't hurt to sacrifice a live chicken while you dance around the boxes before you ship. Yes, I am joking. Only kill the chicken if you plan to have it for dinner. The fish gods don't care if you eat it. :shout:
Hi Two tank, I am interested in importing some fish from Malaysia, but am having difficulty finding info online. Can you point me to where I can find info on shipping etc.

The biggest issue in importing fish is you need to find an outfit than can handle all the required paperwork and deal with fish and wildlife etc. My role was on the financing of it not the paperwork, My partner would handle that as they were already doing it. Of course I also kep some of the fish for myself and helped with selling some of the rest.

I have never wanted to be responsible for all the paperwork etc. So, I always left it to others. What you need to do is find some of the members here in the USa who do know who to contact in this respect.

Early on i worked with somebody already actively importing. She live what was an 8 hours round trip to NYC to get the fish from the transhsipper (they handle their own paperwork). She was a friend with children and having to spend a sunday driving for fish for 8 hours was a burden. So I worked out a deal. I was 40 minutes from the transhipper and i would ppick up the order and then meet her a few hours drive away. This cut her time in half. But i was also able to piggy back her order or in some case we shared buying a species. So not only was I able to helf a friend, I was also able to get fish at import prices.

The tanshipper would add to their cost to make their profit, But the prieces were very good. The one time I was directly involved in a big importation directly from Indonesia the price was insanely cheap. in 2020 we bought 1.5 inch zebra plecos in a 234 fish delivered lot for $35 for the 1.5 inchers and $70 each for the 50 x 2 inchers. There were also some P. comptas but they were for my partner in the venture. I kept 25 of the bigger zebras for myself.

But that was the last time I was involved in directly importing from an Asian breeding farm. It was and is one of the best- Bellenz Fish Farm in Indonesia. iI is a family owned and run business.

I was lazy about all of this. I wanted the fish but not all the worked need to buy and land them. So I worked with folks that did so and made my contribution to the process worth it to my partner at the time. My last partner ended up ripping me off for a lot of money. In the end I was owed $10k. The problem was to sue him would have cost me at least $25k. Since there was no guarantee I could even win such a suit, it made little sense to risk more money. So I waled away.

Apparentyl this person is till robbing people by sel=ending out fish that often die soon after. I have had some of his customers end up buying from me because my fish don't die a day or two after one gets them. Unfortunately, i am retireing from breeding andselling ans soo even keeping fish. Old age really does suck in some respects.

The biggest issue in importing fish is you need to find an outfit than can handle all the required paperwork and deal with fish and wildlife etc. My role was on the financing of it not the paperwork, My partner would handle that as they were already doing it. Of course I also kep some of the fish for myself and helped with selling some of the rest.

I have never wanted to be responsible for all the paperwork etc. So, I always left it to others. What you need to do is find some of the members here in the USa who do know who to contact in this respect.

Early on i worked with somebody already actively importing. She live what was an 8 hours round trip to NYC to get the fish from the transhsipper (they handle their own paperwork). She was a friend with children and having to spend a sunday driving for fish for 8 hours was a burden. So I worked out a deal. I was 40 minutes from the transhipper and i would ppick up the order and then meet her a few hours drive away. This cut her time in half. But i was also able to piggy back her order or in some case we shared buying a species. So not only was I able to helf a friend, I was also able to get fish at import prices.

The tanshipper would add to their cost to make their profit, But the prieces were very good. The one time I was directly involved in a big importation directly from Indonesia the price was insanely cheap. in 2020 we bought 1.5 inch zebra plecos in a 234 fish delivered lot for $35 for the 1.5 inchers and $70 each for the 50 x 2 inchers. There were also some P. comptas but they were for my partner in the venture. I kept 25 of the bigger zebras for myself.

But that was the last time I was involved in directly importing from an Asian breeding farm. It was and is one of the best- Bellenz Fish Farm in Indonesia. iI is a family owned and run business.

I was lazy about all of this. I wanted the fish but not all the worked need to buy and land them. So I worked with folks that did so and made my contribution to the process worth it to my partner at the time. My last partner ended up ripping me off for a lot of money. In the end I was owed $10k. The problem was to sue him would have cost me at least $25k. Since there was no guarantee I could even win such a suit, it made little sense to risk more money. So I waled away.

Apparentyl this person is till robbing people by sel=ending out fish that often die soon after. I have had some of his customers end up buying from me because my fish don't die a day or two after one gets them. Unfortunately, i am retireing from breeding andselling ans soo even keeping fish. Old age really does suck in some respects.

Indeed, old age is not for wimps, this is a retirement project for me.
Thank you for the good info.

Did you collect a lot of the fish you still raise and sell? And good luck on the shipments. I wouldn't have thought international would be very manageable. I also didn't realize a breather bag would make survival that long possible. Sounds like you are skilled at it.

Did you collect a lot of the fish you still raise and sell? And good luck on the shipments. I wouldn't have thought international would be very manageable. I also didn't realize a breather bag would make survival that long possible. Sounds like you are skilled at it.
I still do have offspring of fish that I've collected myself. But generally, all livebearer species I have, are raised by me and can be sold.
I've shipped fish to multiple countries throughout the years. Experience has taught us that fish packed in breathing bags can even survive for over 3 weeks if there's enough oxygen in the package itself. So, a shipment of a week, is not that long when packed in breathing bags.

I still do have offspring of fish that I've collected myself. But generally, all livebearer species I have, are raised by me and can be sold.
I've shipped fish to multiple countries throughout the years. Experience has taught us that fish packed in breathing bags can even survive for over 3 weeks if there's enough oxygen in the package itself. So, a shipment of a week, is not that long when packed in breathing bags.
Three weeks is very impressive. As long as you don't crowd a bag and have a nitrogen issue it would really make things safer for shipping across borders where delays could occur.

Most reactions

Back