Shell Dwellers In A 7 Gallon?

I think you would be fine with a single mated pair of multies Neolamprologus multifasciatus, maybe a trio, but you would need to remove the inevitable fry. They are very tolerant of fry and will raise them up in the 7 gal provided you have plenty of shells, but as they mature you will need to remove them. The young grow slowly and you would have plenty of time, it's not like they will need to be removed in a matter of weeks, or even a few months.

Alright thanks alot Griz I have about 13 different shells for the tank all assorted sizes with a sand bottom :)

I will have to get the water specs right for them if I get them though

Unless it's a particularly tall tank, I think you have a good chance of success. Be aware that you are pushing the limits a bit though. You'll have to thin them out regularly for this to work. The pair should be fine but there won't be much room for the young to pair off and form their own territories. The more shells you have the better. Also be forewarned that you will soon want a bigger tank for them to enjoy the "colony" behaviour which is the real appeal of shellies. I'm already thinking about a bigger tank for mine. :D

I have 3 multi's in a 18x10x10 8g. Needs some more shells though, have 6 now but rocks break up lines of sight.

Most reactions

Back