She had her babys

16gallontanker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What should I do first now that she had them and when should I feed them I already removed the mother she had a bunch

Attachments

• 20240721_143301.jpg
    20240721_143301.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 57
They'll be hungry now, just don't overfeed.

new born livebearers don't need to be fed within the 1st 24 hours. All you need to do is crush up some flake food with your finger and thumb.

is it just me, or is that a huge batch of fry from one female??? maybe a well matured female??? I've just never seen a batch that big around here...

is it just me, or is that a huge batch of fry from one female??? maybe a well matured female??? I've just never seen a batch that big around here...
My female mollies used to drop between 100-200 fry per batch. The females were around 4-5 inches long (not including the tail).

There's not that many in the tank, a lot of the fish are reflections off the glass and surface. I figure there's about 25-30 fry in the picture.

Last edited:
What should I do first now that she had them and when should I feed them I already removed the mother she had a bunch
Make sure there's an established biological filter in the tank to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm.

Crumble up some flake food so it's powder and feed the babies 3-5 times per day.

Do not soak the food in water first. The babies are surface feeders and dry food will float longer than wet food. This means the babies have more time to eat the food and less of it will sink.

Offer a small amount of food and let them eat it all. Then offer a little bit more and let them eat it all. Continue doing this until they have fat stomachs and look like their mum before she gave birth.

Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every few days to keep the water clean and remove uneaten food. When I had baby fish I used water from their parents tank to do water changes on the fry tank. I did this for the first month and then started using dechlorinated tap water in the fry tank.
Make sure the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

----------------------

If you can get some dry brinehsrimp eggs, you can hatch them in salt water and the newly hatched brineshrimp make an excellent food for baby fish.

Microworms are another food you can add.

The following link has information about culturing live foods for baby fish, including brineshrimp and microworms.

Most reactions

Back