Severums Looking Ill

Avinitlarge

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My severums seem to be ill. They seem lethargic and the condition of them doesnt seems as good as it used to be. They have greyish patches on their scales, One has a white a white patch on its eye too. Water stats are fine.

Need to look at your water stats so can you post them please.
What test kit are you using.
How many fish and which type.

Grey patches can be bad water quality, ph, parasites, bacterial, etc.

Any signs of flicking and rubbing, darting, erratic swimming, excess slime, laboured breathing.
Any red sores or red pin prick marks on the fish.
Is the skin peeling away.

Need to look at your water stats so can you post them please.
What test kit are you using.
How many fish and which type.

Grey patches can be bad water quality, ph, parasites, bacterial, etc.

Any signs of flicking and rubbing, darting, erratic swimming, excess slime, laboured breathing.
Any red sores or red pin prick marks on the fish.
Is the skin peeling away.

Test with fluid test kit (Aquaruim Pharmaceuticals)
PH - 6.6 or it could be 6.4
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Temperature - 29oC

Test with Strips (Tetra Test)
Nitrate - 250 (mg/l)
nitrite - 0
GH - >16°d
KH - 6°d
PH - 6.4

Test from LFS
Ammonia - 0.6
Nitrate - 0
PH - 6
KH - 2

flicking and rubbing - No
darting - No
erratic swimming - No
excess slime - A slight ammount
laboured breathing - No
Any red sores or red pin prick marks on the fish - No
Is the skin peeling away - It looks like it might be

Are these Severums in the same tank as the one that had deoderant sprayed in it this weekend? If so, its likely a direct result of poisoning from the deoderant, you need to do more water changes to try and dilute whatever is causing the problem.

Whilst I wouldnt normally recommend it, in this case, as mentioned in your previous thread, it maybe an idea to do a complete tank strip down. Bag/bucket the fish, remove all the water from the tank, clean the sides with very hot water, all decor, substrate, plants etc. Clean the filters and media (in fresh dechlorinated water not tank water as the water is infected). Re-fill the tank with the correct temperature water, then re-acclimatise the fish (as complete new water may have a slightly different ph). That may you are eliminating as much traces of the deoderant as possible.

did the LFS not do a nitrite test?

and if the filter isn't coping with the ammonia any more then it may have damaged the bacteria. and maybe the deodorant in the water is giving you false readings on your tests, and the LFS tests are a little more advanced and won't be affected.

All I can suggest on that is to treat it as a fish in cycle situation, monitoring your stats as much as possible, do as many water changes as you need to (after trying to do the biggest change possible, like the complete tear down, or just a series of 75% changes)

(and sorry for your last thread turning into a big joke...)

did the LFS not do a nitrite test?

and if the filter isn't coping with the ammonia any more then it may have damaged the bacteria. and maybe the deodorant in the water is giving you false readings on your tests, and the LFS tests are a little more advanced and won't be affected.

All I can suggest on that is to treat it as a fish in cycle situation, monitoring your stats as much as possible, do as many water changes as you need to (after trying to do the biggest change possible, like the complete tear down, or just a series of 75% changes)

(and sorry for your last thread turning into a big joke...)

To be honest, I think the LFS is a bit pi55 poor. I only went to them to ge the 3rd opinion. Ive never believed anything they have said. I think they just wanted me to buy some bacteria building stuff at a tenner. The test kit they have is just the same as you could buy from any other LFS, Nothing special. Saying that, They are not even a proper LFS, its a pet shop. They have meerkats for sale in a tiny cage, If they knew anything about them they would know what happens to meerkats when they are in a small space.

Anyway, Ive done another water change and I will be doing another one tomorrow. At least its keeping me fit :lol:

I thought the last thread was pretty funny, No need to say sorry to me. :good:

Sorry saw your other thread but didn't read it.
Would explains things.

I think they are going to be ok. They are swimming normal and They look heathy again. They are still in the hospital tank which is only a 30L. Im not sure what to do with them at this point though. I dont know if I should sell them or keep them. I seriously want a discus tank. Ive had the sevs for about 3 years and have watched them grow from about 3cm upto 4". I would like to keep at least one but I dont know if it would be ok with discus

Can't you add them back to the main tank.

Most reactions

Back