Setting up a biotope blackwater paludarium for reptiles and tetras

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I have been keeping my first aquarium so far for nearly a year now which is a 145 l freshwater aquarium filled with roiboi tea to add tannins to the tank without affecting the pH negatively and a large piece of hollow wild caught treated driftwood for my cories to hide under or behind during the day .

I keep 30 tetras which are 15 rummy nose tetras and 15 wild caught cardinal tetras , 4 wild caught marbled hatchetfish , 5 corydoras duplicareus catfish and 4 otocinclus catfish.

I recently graduated high school and I am pursuing a higher education and eventually I am going to move out from home.

Once I have the right amount of money space and time which might take quite a while to happen I hope I can get to work on my first paludarium build and my first attempt at keeping reptiles.

I will migrate my various fish to that new and bigger enclosure which will be intended to replicate the native environment of my fish in the most intricate of details such as possibly adding a built in rain system and sticking to only plants native to the area I am trying to recreate.

I was also thinking of how in the amazon jungle the rivers are commonly located above large trees and canopy so if I could somehow create a canopy area above the water with a safety net under it for aboreal reptiles and a ground area+basking area for semi aquatic reptiles like turtles that would be perfect.

I was thinking of making a bioactive enclosure that can be at the very least somewhat self sufficient such as a bottom layer filled with isopods and springtails that keep things nice and clean.

When it comes to reptiles there are a lot of choices but only a few are actually going to work for me and they have to leave the fish alone such as dart frogs or tree frogs or other reptiles that are insectivores.

My fish do eat insects and small crustaceans as well so it would be the best option by far.

I am not an expert at this but I have looked at quite a few videos regarding the topic and I did see one beautiful paludarium that used an arduino combined with a raspberry pi to make it rain in the enclosure + very beautiful lighting effects.

Sorry, I'm going to be a doomsayer in this. Reptiles and fish don't mix. Dart frogs and Tree frogs don't live in water. Dart frogs are highly poisonous and should only be kept by people with a lot of experience in frogs and who have access to really good medical care that is close by. If you get poisoned by one of the dart frogs, you could die within a very short period of time.

An Amazon biotope is fine but just have fish and plants from the area.

There's no point having tree branches above the tank because the light unit is normally on the tank and would be underneath the branches. Just have a normal tank with some floating plants to provide shelter.

Having said all this, if you get the Amazon tank set up, post some pictures. I'm sure everyone would love to see it. :)

Oh, I don't think it's necessarily as bad as all that. I know very little about keeping amphibians, and I would advise sticking with non-lethal amphibians as a general rule, but I know people do keep arrow frogs and enjoy them. As long as you aren't handling them or giving them kisses, I'd give you at least a 50/50 chance at survival.

I would be more worried about the frogs poisoning the fish. I know some people successfully keep fire-belly toads with fish (though of course there are those who direly oppose the practice). Most amphibians only produce poison if something is attacking them, and as Colin pointed out, tree frogs and arboreal lizards aren't going to be in the water anyway. And of course, there are lots of non-venomous reptiles and phibs. I wouldn't bother with the safety net. Just make sure you have plenty of emergent vegetation and/or decor so that critters can escape in the unlikely event that they fall in.

I haven't personally done the research, but I don't see a reason that a person couldn't build an enclosure that would keep fish and amphibians/reptiles happy. Just do the research.

I would advise sticking with non-lethal amphibians as a general rule, but I know people do keep arrow frogs and enjoy them. As long as you aren't handling them or giving them kisses, I'd give you at least a 50/50 chance at survival.
LOL :)

Excuse me wife, a wicked witch turned me into a dart frog. Would you please give me a kiss to turn me back?
Wife kisses frog and dies. Husband tells police he has no idea why his wife would kiss a poison arrow/ dart frog. Husband is now happy and can set up more fish/ frog tanks. :)

LOL :)

Excuse me wife, a wicked witch turned me into a dart frog. Would you please give me a kiss to turn me back?
Wife kisses frog and dies. Husband tells police he has no idea why his wife would kiss a poison arrow/ dart frog. Husband is now happy and can set up more fish/ frog tanks. :)
That life insurance would buy me a lot of fishies... :hey: :devil:

Most reactions

Back