Set-up With No Sump

Tetraking

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry to those of you who may have tried to help me already, but i can't seem to get this, i am getting a 72" x 16" x 16" tank for a reef set-up but i do not really have room for a sump, how do i filter it, what equipment do i need to buy, do i need to make adjustments to the tank such as drilling holes (would rather not) or anything or can i house everything in the tank, please help, i know nothing at the moment.

Thanks

Andy

Depends what space you do have under the tank.
I run a 60 x 18 x 24" marine with no sump. You will need 2 large external filters one at each end to add with movement and filtration. You wont have to drill the tank and to be honest only minimal amounts of adjustment would be needed for your lid if you have one. You will need a skimmer of some type too and you can get internal ones or ones that just hang on the outside dependin on how much money you want to spend. You will also need to large powerheads too to aid with circulation. If you look in my sig there is a link to my journal , I havent updated it in a while but it may give you a few ideas.
Pictures of the tank/hood lighting stand etc would help people advise you.
It is possible to run a low tech system even with a tank that size you just need to know what your doing and what to buy.

littleme i thank you, thats exactly the info i need, will read your journel in a min, so if i had say two fluvals 204/304 and change the media and put them under in the stand that would be ok would it? i am planning on buying loads of live rock aswell as a skimmer and two power heads.

Thanks

Andy

littleme i thank you, thats exactly the info i need, will read your journel in a min, so if i had say two fluvals 204/304 and change the media and put them under in the stand that would be ok would it? i am planning on buying loads of live rock aswell as a skimmer and two power heads.

Thanks

Andy
I wouldnt bother with the 2 externals, maybe one to run rowaphos or similar if you already have one at hand
but with loads of live rock and water movement IMO you dont need any externals at all
You could put a fake wall(partition) at the back of your tank and house all the equipment there kinda like the Aqua Medic Percula range, this would be easy enough to do and all you'd need is a large sheet of black perspex and a dremal tool or similar to cut holes/etc with

so if i had say two fluvals 204/304 and change the media and put them under in the stand that would be ok would it? i am planning on buying loads of live rock aswell as a skimmer and two power heads.

Thanks

The live rock is the biological filter in marine tanks and therefore get your hands on loads, I think 1kg per gallon is recommended. Me thinks you are going to need a lot of rock. The external filter will be helpful with regards water movement but also if you fill the canisters with Rowaphos and Denitrate then they should help suck up the nasties. You can not beat good old macroalgae in this respect though.. have you thought of maybe a small little sump? Something that could be solely used for macroalgae and that would help enormously with water chemistry as well. What are kind of marine setup are you going for??

Regards

I run my 55 without a sump and have had no problems. It would be nice have one to hide all the equip (heaters, skimmer, and such..) and maybe for a refuge to have some macroalgae, but you can run without one. I have a HOB skimmer and two Koralia 3's. Just make sure you have 1lb of liverock for each US gallon and you should have all the biological filtration you need.

Ox :good:

Hi all, thanks for the advive so far, can i start the tank with about 10kg of rock to get started, start getting the water good and gradually add more week by week, i don't plan on adding fish until i get about 30/40kg, would this be ok to keep parimiters ok for cycling.

How you set it up is up to you. For a tank that size though I would go with 2 externals, but the choice is yours.
Yes the rock does filter but it does not remove debris from the system. If you want crystal clear water you need some type of machanical filtration same as a sump would do. I run mine with Live rock rubble bottom level Carbon middle level and Phosphate remover on the top. There is also filter floss inbetween layers to remove particles. believe me when you see the crap that gets caught up in there you realise what good it does. My tank runs with nitrate levels under 5 which is exceptional for the amount of food I throw in there as I have 2 tangs. I also only run a basic air powered internal skimmer and all my water stats are spot on. Good circultaion is very important making sure the water moves fully around the tank and you dont get any dead spots. Rock should be arranged to creat areas with lower flow for fish and corals.
You can start with just a little live rock and keep adding to it as you go along, but be aware that when new rock is added you often get an ammonia spike so its best to add at least 50% of your intended amount before you start adding fish. This will give you enough of a bacteria bio load to tackle any new ammonia from future rock.
Fish again should be added slowly and planned well. Adding the largest and possible trouble causers last.
Its always best to take it slow and get used to the tests etc so you know what you are doing. Get a feel for the tank and equipment so its easy to spot problems in the future. Try and get out any niggles with equipment etc before you add any rock to the tank and sort out flow from powerheads etc.
Plan and reaserach as much as you can to get a good balance with your equipment and fish and most important if in doubt ask lots of questions!! LOL
Good luck with it and have fun :)

Most reactions

Back