SERPAE Tetra Acting weird .

TropicalFlow

Reaction score
Around 7 days ago I noticed my serpae Tetra acting weird. She has a odd swimming pattern, She only uses her/his front fins and out of nowhere goes to a specific corner in the top of the tank and sits there in a straight up position. It’s not swimbladder. Should I be concerned ? My levels are normal, she is also housed with 4 guppies.

Ammonia:0 Nitrate:0 Nitrite:0

Any pictures?
Is it the only fish of its species? It might be experiencing loneliness. When all my danio's friends died, she tried to commit suicide by suffocating herself behind the filter. She still lives to this day with only 1 male as company. Yes, my female danio has seen at least 2 batches of her species die completely.

Around 7 days ago I noticed my serpae Tetra acting weird. She has a odd swimming pattern, She only uses her/his front fins and out of nowhere goes to a specific corner in the top of the tank and sits there in a straight up position. It’s not swimbladder. Should I be concerned ? My levels are normal, she is also housed with 4 guppies.

Ammonia:0 Nitrate:0 Nitrite:0
This sounds like what happened with my peacock gudgeon last week. I just added her the day before though. When fid you add these fish? Mine got symptoms like these at noon and died before 7pm. Come to find out, it was all stress. She was just weaker than the rest in the tank. However there is also a disease that can cause rhese symptoms called swim bladders disease and sometimes they will get better while other times they will not...

She is happy alone. If she was ever put with other serpae tetra she gets bullied or she is the bully. She was living happily with the guppies for 7 months.

She is happy alone. If she was ever put with other serpae tetra she gets bullied or she is the bully. She was living happily with the guppies for 7 months.

I'm afraid this is not true. This species lives in large groups, and this need is imprinted into the genetic blueprint of the species. The fish "expects" to be in a group, and if denied this necessity it will be stressed. There is now scientific proof for this.

As for being bullied, or bulling others, that is what happens when the fish are not kept in a sufficient-sized group. And in sufficient space. This species needs 12+ fish, in basically a 30 gallon tank (one with the base dimensions of 30 by 12 inches). When these needs are met, there is less chance of bullies. However, individual fish can be exceptions to the norm, it happens in all species.

No one can tell if a fish is "happy" because we cannot talk to the fish to know. We can assume that by understanding its needs as I've outlined above and providing these, it should be healthy. But denying these necessities is not being kind to the fish. Read Dr. Loiselle's comment in my signature block.

And now that this specific has been raised--it is very possible that this is the cause of the issue here. This fish is severely stressed. Fish have little option under such conditions, they either become aggressive, or the opposite. "Swim bladder" is rarely the issue, as this particular symptom of the fish being unable to keep itself buoyant can be brought on by several things such as stress, internal protozoan, certain foods, genetics, inappropriate or fluctuating water parameters, and water conditions.

I kept them in a group of 13 plus a couple brine tetras. I used to have a 55 gallon before it got wrecked .

I kept them in a group of 13 plus a couple brine tetras. I used to have a 55 gallon before it got wrecked .

What are brine tetras?

The 55g was sufficient space, and 13 should have kept things ordered. So it comes down to that quirk of nature when one individual does not follow the norm. It happens. However, in the case of this species which has this aggressive streak in their DNA, it is better to leave them alone and let them carry out their squabbles, it is their natural tendency. If you had a group of 100 fish, this would likely have played out better--not saying you should, just noting it does make a difference. But it is the fish's nature and we can only do our best to work around it. I don't know the extent of the interactive bullying, I would have to see it for myself in life, but sometimes euthanizing the culprit can be called for if the fish takes it far beyond the norm for the species. But this fish is one that frequently has bitten off tails and/or dorsal fins (many wrongly think fin rot) due to the normal nipping behaviour.

Ya I see where your coming from. It was basically all of them. When I found her the next day she has basically no fins and basically dead

I know, I had 4

I cannot second guess what you may imply here, so just to be clear...they need around 10 like all shoaling species do, if we care about their well-being. Four will cause stress as previously explained.

Most reactions

Back