Serious Question...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bettachick49

Reaction score
I have a question, when males blow a bubblenest in their bowls does that usually mean they are happy and healthy? I may breed them but this is something I don't know. Please help....
Amanda :)

Yeh. They think their living conditions are idea for procreation (must be good in other words) so just in case a female happens to wander by, maybe he'll get lucky and be ready. The younger ones tend to love making bubblenests--they like to practice a lot (they are such optimists) and the nest is sort of their way of advertising that they are healthy, ready and available. However, a lack of a bubblenest is not a sign that things are not good either. Mine generally quit making a bubblenest after awhile when they figure out there's no hope of ever using it, and after awhile after their hard work goes down the drain during every cleaning, they sort of give up. Once they get into the breeding tank and especially when they see a nice, healthy female making eyes at them, they blow the bubbles again as they are supposed to.

Thank you guys so much...all of my males are blowning bubblenest and I was just wondering if this was a sign of them being happy and healthy...well thats good to know :D Thanks so much

p.s. Froggy do you breed?

I have crowntails and veiltails I breed both types. I'm getting into breeding guppies now. If the fish in your personal pic is yours then wow you have nice fish. I have a question what do you feed your fry from day 1 up until the day they are able to be fed what I feed the adults. Thanks.
Amanda

Well That Fish Is Not Mine :blush: I Will Get Pics Withen The Next 2 weeks and i feed them liqiafry or something and ive brine shrimp live mousquitoe larvea and lots more! :)

:drool: :drool: my boys love making bubble nest.

only dont tell them there are no girl bettas in my house..and you cant get hold of them locally either.
:lol: :lol:

I find it strange that a "breeder" does not know why Bettas blow bubblenests nor what to feed the fry... but, whatev. -_-

Well if people actually read profiles I said im a new breeder. I have bred before but I was just trying to find different things to feed them because everyone does it differently. About the bubblenest question I just wasnt sure if blowing a bubble nest meant they were happy or just bored. Thanks for being rude though.

After hatching, I usually don't feed the newborns for 2-3 days (depending on how fast they are using up their eggsac). I kind of feel those days are my vacation days because after that, you have to be there all the time for them. The breeding tank is initially set up with floating plants that are rich in infusoria so when the babies are born, they have that as a first food source I use only use one drop of egg-bearing Liquifry before the hatching starts to feed the infusoria (all of my newborns never eat non-live food). On day 3-4, I start using vinegar eels twice daily. By the end of the week, I feed vinegar eels once a day and microworms once a day, and eventually stop the vinegar eels within a few days (replace that feeding with micros). Continue with the micros but also start feeding newly hatched (note, newly hatched which are when they are most nutritious) brines. I continue using both of those until the fish are big enough to eat grindals (stop using micros but continue with brines). After that, it's just a matter of matching their size to the food available--if they are big enough for frozen (defrosted of course) vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, glassworms, bloodworms. Usually they'll have develop enough teeth and jaw strength that they can bit off (rip off) these foods. since they are kids, they seem to always be hungry to I start crushing up pellets and start replacing one of their meals with the crushed pellets so they start getting used to dry food, which sometimes takes a long time to learn to eat.

I don't feel I was rude, sorry if I seemed rude. I was just speaking my thoughts. I and many other breeders here researched spawning for YEARS before jumping into it! I also joined a Betta club and talked to tons of other breeders, which I recommend for everyone interested in these awesome little fish. There are lots of in and outs and very important aspects to raising fry - personally, I would run if a breeder who didn't know about bubblenesting or fry-feeding was selling Bettas. That's just my opinion, there is tons of good information everywhere to provide in depth answers to those questions. Personally, I think a breeder should know as much as possible about Bettas before (not after) they spawn.

Most reactions

Back