Serious problem

Country joe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My 125 juwel rio, I've hit a big problem today I was going to give the impeller a clean, as it slightly noisy, I've had it out once before and gave it a good clean, but when I tried today the motor and the heater have jammed solid, I can't move any of the two, it means I won't ever be able to clean the impeller, I've tried everything, taken out the filter sponges, but no luck they are jammed solid, I don't know what to do, it's still under guarantee but that's no help.

If nothing has melted or become distorted by the heat...

It Could it be because. Over time, mineral deposits caused it to seize ?

Use a descaling solution or white vinegar to soak the components and try to dislodge them carefully.

That's not really an option with a Juwel Rio as the filter is siliconed to the tank walls. That's what makes it tricky to remove the pump. The only option would be to cut through the silicone blobs and remove the filter, but then it would need to be re-siliconed back into the tank, which is not an option with fish in there.

That is why all my tanks were bought solo and the choice of filter etc. was mine not the manufacturer wanting to make a profit and take my options away. I still have the first AquaClears I got in 2002 running today. I have had other filters and powerheads quit for good, but the only AC I stopped using was because the seal between the motor and the housing gave way. But I have had close to 30 of these filters and only changed one maybe 2 impeller shafts or impellers that lost a blade over the years.

My first filter, an Emperor 400, quit after about 8 years and the new model was not so great so I sent it back after less than an hour on a tank. I replaced it with another AquaClear.

That's not really an option with a Juwel Rio as the filter is siliconed to the tank walls. That's what makes it tricky to remove the pump. The only option would be to cut through the silicone blobs and remove the filter, but then it would need to be re-siliconed back into the tank, which is not an option with fish in there.

Oh, I didn't knew these where glued on... Not very brilliant.

Even with a guarantee I can't see a German company being much help, I feel like cutting it out, if its not to difficult an buying an other internal filter, or going for a canister, the two cut outs at the back of the tank are a inch deep, I don't know if they would take a canister hose, it's jammed I can only move it an inch, there's something stopping it, but I can't figure out what, it must be in the right way or the small outlet pipe would not fit.

Photos of the problem might help someone figure it out.

I'm really fed I've had two long goes at and it won't budge, and neither will the heater move, I can't see juwel doing much to help, even if it's under guarantee, I've been looking at YouTube videos how to remove the whole filter, using a knife and razor blade and replacing it with an oase bio plus 200. A bit drastic, but I can't think of anything else, as at some point I will have to clean the impeller.

Contact the company and let them know what happened. Even if they don't help they should at least acknowledge the problem and maybe modify future tanks so it doesn't happen.

I removed the filter from my Rio 125. I did it during a water change as you need to saw through those silicone blobs which causes a tidal wave in the water, so removing half the water meant none ended up on the floor.

The sponges can be cut up to make them fit a different filter.

I’m not a big fan of package put together kits… and this is worse, because they were made to be together… what does the supplier recommend

Most reactions

Back