Securing Hoses On External Filter

anniekins

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,I would like some advice from external filter owners.

I am just about to set up my first external filter which I bought second hand. I have just received the new hoses and would like to know if I need to secure the hoses to the attachments and filter itself with plastic ties, or will it be okay just to push them on securely?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

hi :)
what make is the filter..and by attachments,do you mean the in and out pipes that are fixed to the filter?
usually there are rings that you screww upward to secure the pipes.. have you not got these.. tho if you tell us the make someone will help you out :)

Sorry, forgot to say it's an Eheim Pro3 2180. I did notice that some of the hoses have been secured onto the pipes with ties by the previous owner, which made me wonder if everyone does this as normal procedure or is it just an additional precaution?

Sounds to me like something is missing.
The Pro 3 (and Pro II) all use a plastic mated clip to secure the hoses to the head. The 2180 has the same, but it's for three pipes.
See this diagram, and look at 7209358.
Cable ties will do, but I'd recommend replacing that part if it's missing.
HTH
Martin

Thanks for your reply Martin. I do have the plastic clip to secure the inlet and outlet hoses to the filter, it's the hose connections to the bar and pipes that I was wondering about. Thanks also for the spare part info....... may come in very useful over time.Hope to install filter later tonight!

Ah OK!
Well, in all the years that I have used Eheims (on and off for the past 20+years) I've never used anything on the pipes at the spraybar or inlet joins. The only suggestion I would make is that if all the pipes have been separated, espcially if the pipes have started to harden with age, then chop the pipe back past the 'old' stretched area and then push that onto the relevant fitting to ensure a tight, secure fit. As long as you have the ridges on the ends of your spraybar/inlets, then I don't think you need to use zip-ties. Just make sure the flexible pipe is well and truly onto the inlet/outlets and all should be OK.
I can appreciate that the filter you have is a beast in the amount of water it outputs, but wouldn't have thought it enough to push the pipes off.
HTH
Martin

Most reactions

Back