Seashells In Tropical Tank?

Nidgi

Reaction score
Hello there
New member here, and new to the fish scene!! One thing i've just found out is that seashells (In this case from Cornwall!) are not supposed to be put in a tropical fish setup, is this true??
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks..

They raise the pH, not lower it. Any shells can do this but saltwater shells especially so.

yeah they defenetly make PH higher, as i had substrate made up of crushed up shells, and whoa it really elevated my PH from loke 7.5 to 8.5

yeah they defenetly make PH higher, as i had substrate made up of crushed up shells, and whoa it really elevated my PH from loke 7.5 to 8.5

I guess its not a good idea then huh?

Indeed. Don't imagine having hard, alkaline water is intrinsically bad; it isn't. It has some advatages over soft, acid water. Specifically:
  • Water chemistry tends to be very stable
  • Gradual acidification by things like bogwood or decaying organic matter is inhibited
  • Many plants use the hardness as a fertiliser of sorts (instead of using dissolved carbon dioxide)
  • Many fish prefer/need hard, alkaline water
Among the plants that like hard water are many of the common Amazon swords, Bacopa, Vallisneria, some of the Cryptocorynes (such as C. ciliata), most of the "pondweed" type things like hornwort and Elodea, and some of the Hygrophila species.

Hard water fishes include rainbowfish, livebearers, some killifish, blind cave tetras, all the African Rift Valley cichlids and Central American cichlids, all the brackish water stuff, and many oddballs such as flatfish, halfbeaks, and gobies.

If you have hard, alkaline water to begin with, you'll find life a lot simpler sticking to hard water fish and plants, particularly if you want to breed your fish.

Cheers,

Neale

Nope, not unless you're planning on keeping fish that like high ph (ie. old world cichlids). :nod:

Most reactions

Back