Scwd

would do you need a wave maker for? Not flaming, jst curious

I've not used a SCWD but many members of my local club have. Those that do NOT keep their calium/alkalinity high love the product, and those that do dose and keep calc/alk high have troubles with them seizing up due to calcium carbonate deposits internally.

Wave motion in a nano is very tough to achieve, especially in a cost-effective manner. As SH mentioned, Hydor flows work well but do need leaning often for optimal efficiency. Failing that, the only two other solutions I know of would use a Tunze pump with wave controller, or to use any other powerheads and a programmable industrial A/C modulator.

To be honest, I don't think you really need to look for wave motion in a nano. It isn't big enough to support the sort of devices that create it.

You are better off getting propellor style powerheads (such as the Tunze Nano Streams, Seio pumps, or the new Hydor ones) to get awway from the needle like flow from the pumps.

As an example, I just recently put my Tunze Nano 6045 in my big SW tank. Despite kicking out around 1,000 GPH, with my hand about 6-8" away I couldn't feel any great pressure on my hand, it moves large amount of water around but across a wider area.

i've just put a koralia 1 in my nano, and for me they are just as good as the tunze, but easier on the pocket, the flow mine is giving out is fantastic and (dispite what i heard beforehand) it runs silent,

the hydor flo is ok, but once you put in the p/head and then stick that great thing on the front, its a bit, well, obtrusive..

just dont try to put it on a timer ('cos they dont like it)

neil

i've just put a koralia 1 in my nano, and for me they are just as good as the tunze, but easier on the pocket,
However, it is of some note to remember the reliability of Tunze products. I have a pair of powerheads well in excess of 17 years old that still work perfectly. We are yet to see if other products that copy the Tunze systems will last as long.

I will say though, that the Hydor look a much better alternative to Tunze than Seio (and they aren't made by Rio, which is always a plus :D ). The Koralia 1 looks useful for the smaller tanks where the 2,500 LPH of the smallest Tunze is a bit much.

My main hope is that someone will produce a smaller wavebox similar to the Tunze one. Everyone is just catching up that the needle like flow of powerheads is not a good idea and thus making propellor powerheads. the next step is to actually have the water shifting across the aquarium like waves washing across it. Having actually set this up and used it on my tank I can say it is amazing. I recall someone did a smaller version in America, but have not heard a lot of it.

i saw a thread on a different site were they put a tunze wave box in a nano. They had to have the water like 1/4 of the way down, however the sps and lps seemd to be ok with the flow. Just looked a bit turential storm thats all.

Many thanks guys for the input. The general idea was sparked off by the Tunze wavebox and yes I know its too large for my setup (242X12"X18") but I like the movement it created throughout the aquarium which in turn virtually eliminated dead spots. Getting back to the SCWD device, the reason I gave this some study was that it gets rid of powerheads which I feel are unsightly and it alternates the flow alternating the current supplied to the reef wall. I am thinking that it's no good spending a great wad of money on an aquarium when the asthetics of the thing is spoilt by unsightly electrical clutter so to that end I would like to despense with as much of it as possible from the internals. Go on tell me I should have bought a plug n play Red Sea Max. Anyway what size of pump would the membership recommend (ltrs per hour) for the above size of tank so as to have a good strong flow but not a washing machine effect. Just trying to get things right. Thanks Fletch for the clogging info.
Regards
BigC

Hey SH,
Good call, the Hydor Flo would suit the bill perfectly could hitch it to the Eheim canister outlet. £6.99 over here. I like it.
Many thanks
BigC

Most reactions

Back