Scavengers and garbage collecting Corys

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
They shuffle along the bottom awkwardly, while beautiful, more colourful things wheel overhead in free movement. They are lumpy, and tend to look very similar. They pick things up off the ground, scavenge leftovers and scraps, and generally keep the place presentable as long as they don't overpopulate. What am I talking about?

Humans of course.

If you thought I was talking about Corydoras, I would have said they move along the bottom communicating in cooperative groups, shooting to the surface to breathe (via their oxygen absorbing intestines) through crowds of colourful fish that move like birds. They have great camouflage, and the filter feed small worms, larvae and insects in the sand. They aren't vegetable eaters (hmm, like my human kids were there) and only scavenge when the temptation is too great for them to pass it up. They don't like pleco food. I mean, we, as humans, stuck here under the birds should know that bottom feeders aren't content with leftovers! We have a wide range of foods down here, and so do Corys in their aquatic environment.

Check out their needs and feed them right. Okay, rant done, I'm off to the fridge to look for healthy leftovers.

Your financiers, global retailers/manufacturers and multi billionaire space cowboys actually leave crumbs?!?! Wow. That’ll never catch on over here.

We are kind of veering away from the original point, which was meant to be that we look at Corys as scavengers, or feed them algae pellets, and we shouldn't see things that way...

The failings of capitalism are a whole other topic - they probably fit more with predators... not Corydoras.

Yes, back on topic. I wish that the term scavenger had never been applied to aquarium fish. It conjures up an image of a hyena looking for a gut pile , a creature which feeds on offal and waste. My own Dad , who kept an aquarium in his youth , told me once that I needed a scavenger upon viewing my less than pristine five gallon . We should properly call these fish bottom feeders.

Well yesterdays acquired Pygmy Corys X10 will soon be tucking into their first meal under this roof of frozen daphnia. Once the cube melts a bit that is as the Mozzie n WCMM/Endler tanks will be having the same.
I’m having home made spinach-broccoli-goats cheese soup followed by pasta n home made s-b pesto if anyones interested while the feller in my avatars having fresh chicken Iams washed down with a bowl of liquid rock water.

Yes, back on topic. I wish that the term scavenger had never been applied to aquarium fish. It conjures up an image of a hyena looking for a gut pile , a creature which feeds on offal and waste. My own Dad , who kept an aquarium in his youth , told me once that I needed a scavenger upon viewing my less than pristine five gallon . We should properly call these fish bottom feeders.
A friends mom has a very poorly stocked tank with a single corydoras she calls her “vacuum cleaner” she doesn’t feed it and expects it to eat the other fishes poop. No matter what I say that thinking won’t leave

Most reactions

Back