Saw a video about a plant that grows above the tank?

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Can’t remember where I saw this but I saw a video about a plant that could work in a cichlid tank that grows outside of the tank?

You submerge the route into the water then let the plant grow outside of the fish tank.

Any idea what sort of plant this was?

There are quite a few :) Its called riparian planting and there are quite a few species that grow like this well, but I suspect there is actually a huge list of house plants that can work as a lot of plants can be grown hydroponically which is what we are doing here.

I have a Mini Monsterra in my tank, it started as a bunch above the planter on the right but I've trained it over the top and its growing nicely up the sides.
1654986559340.png

Some other common Riparian plants are Peace Lillys, Parlour Palms, Pothos, Arrowhead Plants and Philodendrons.

Wills

There are quite a few :) Its called riparian planting and there are quite a few species that grow like this well, but I suspect there is actually a huge list of house plants that can work as a lot of plants can be grown hydroponically which is what we are doing here.

I have a Mini Monsterra in my tank, it started as a bunch above the planter on the right but I've trained it over the top and its growing nicely up the sides.
View attachment 161236

Some other common Riparian plants are Peace Lillys, Parlour Palms, Pothos, Arrowhead Plants and Philodendrons.

Wills

That looks awesome :) I’ll have a look into a few of these :)

View attachment 161236

Wills
Have a look at my other post I’ve just posted please as I notice your in UK also :)

Photos are a very common plant that you can root in water and eventually put into soil. They’re really cheap and hardy and once they grow big enough you can always resolve them or let them grow into a bigger plant and then cut pieces off to root again in water. My mind my mom did that for years with her huge 50/100 gallon tanks when she was breeding Bettas. It looked amazing and it was practical, you can even technically make money off of it . Although they do not permanently stay in the tank.

Can’t remember where I saw this but I saw a video about a plant that could work in a cichlid tank that grows outside of the tank?

You submerge the route into the water then let the plant grow outside of the fish tank.

Any idea what sort of plant this was?
Lot's of them Amy.
I have this one growing with dipped roots but it isn't big enough yet. This is the tank at my LFS that made me buy some.
IMG_20220610_104235.jpg

I have planted mine in small containers that are hung over the tank support into the water.
-------------------------------------
HAVE YOU VOTED YET

Lot's of them Amy.
I have this one growing with dipped roots but it isn't big enough yet. This is the tank at my LFS that made me buy some.
View attachment 161249
I have planted mine in small containers that are hung over the tank support into the water.
-------------------------------------
HAVE YOU VOTED YET

I’m liking peace Lily, but I’m thinking how exactly ide suspend it in the water, could you elaborate on the small containers you use?

I have a few very large peace lilies, all started from one tiny plant. They are bare root in the water (the roots would fill a 5 gallon tank) hooked onto the side by coated wire. They are excellent filtration supports, and flower constantly.
I also have two varieties of Monstera, pothos, coreopsis, snake plants, and a little colourful thing sold as a polka dot plant. In the past, I have had basil growing all winter. I have my tanks in a dedicated room, so I can play a bit. Why not blur the line between the aquarium and the room...

Unfortunately, my recent winter move was brutal to my plants, and I am starting all over again. It was -27 on the day I moved. Almost all the plants survived as I packed them well, but only in short pieces.

I have a few very large peace lilies, all started from one tiny plant. They are bare root in the water (the roots would fill a 5 gallon tank) hooked onto the side by coated wire. They are excellent filtration supports, and flower constantly.
I also have two varieties of Monstera, pothos, coreopsis, snake plants, and a little colourful thing sold as a polka dot plant. In the past, I have had basil growing all winter. I have my tanks in a dedicated room, so I can play a bit. Why not blur the line between the aquarium and the room...

Unfortunately, my recent winter move was brutal to my plants, and I am starting all over again. It was -27 on the day I moved. Almost all the plants survived as I packed them well, but only in short pieces.
Jesus sorry about the plants

I love pothos but I’ve heard it’s very poisonous to dogs

I will look into that.
My old rescue dog seems to believe air bubbles in tanks will kill her, and she won't go near the room I keep my fish in.

I had reserved a van for my 10 hour drive/move weeks in advance, and on the day, well, it was the coldest day of the winter. Murphy's Law at work. I had all my plants in styrofoam boxes, packed tight and carefully, but that kind of cold defeats us. I lost about 40-50 pounds of plants. All you can do is start over!

I will look into that.
My old rescue dog seems to believe air bubbles in tanks will kill her, and she won't go near the room I keep my fish in.

I had reserved a van for my 10 hour drive/move weeks in advance, and on the day, well, it was the coldest day of the winter. Murphy's Law at work. I had all my plants in styrofoam boxes, packed tight and carefully, but that kind of cold defeats us. I lost about 40-50 pounds of plants. All you can do is start over!
I suppose yeah haha in the uk the winters rarely get below -3 or so but it’s a while off til then. We are expected 26 degrees this week which is probably as hot as the uk ever gets lol

I suppose yeah haha in the uk the winters rarely get below -3 or so but it’s a while off til then. We are expected 26 degrees this week which is probably as hot as the uk ever gets lol
I now live right on the coast - I am beside a window overlooking the sea. It's an adjustment, as it is cooler here in summer. more moderate in winter. -27 may not sound moderate, but I am used to 10-14 winter days around -30 where I grew up and lived most of my life. Here, we have one brutal day. Just one. My timing was perfect.

In ancient times before the pandemic I was in England in summer (4 years ago? Can it be that recent?) and it was brutally hot. It was easy to see you guys weren't used to it - no fans or AC in the hotel and the Natural History Museum in London was like a sauna of sweat.

Just looked out the window and there's a cruise ship passing by in the mist. It's 17 and sunny. Off to feed the fish.

Thank you, this is very good to know! I have a pothos that I plan to grow in my tank, and my dog loves to try to sneak drinks from the buckets during water changes. I'm really glad I happened to see this! Will still grow the pothos in the tank, but will make absolutely sure the dog can't get anywhere close when I'm WCing that tank now. Wow.
In ancient times before the pandemic I was in England in summer (4 years ago? Can it be that recent?) and it was brutally hot. It was easy to see you guys weren't used to it - no fans or AC in the hotel and the Natural History Museum in London was like a sauna of sweat.

This is it exactly, we're just not set up for heat! Since we only tend to get a few really hot days per year, no one has AC, and businesses aren't going to spend that kind of money to install AC for the sake of a few days a year. Sales of fans go through the roof though ;)

Funnily enough, we're not set up for extreme cold either. The kind of snow you guys handle in Canada? Man, our whole country would shut down and be unable to function. When we get a bit of more serious snow, and roads close/cars get stuck, you guys would probably look and laugh and wonder how the government/city councils don't have enough salt or decent ploughs, and it would look like nothing compared to what you deal with.

Considering we used to be an empire, we're pretty rubbish at even managing to handle our own weather...

Thank you, this is very good to know! I have a pothos that I plan to grow in my tank, and my dog loves to try to sneak drinks from the buckets during water changes. I'm really glad I happened to see this! Will still grow the pothos in the tank, but will make absolutely sure the dog can't get anywhere close when I'm WCing that tank now. Wow.

This is it exactly, we're just not set up for heat! Since we only tend to get a few really hot days per year, no one has AC, and businesses aren't going to spend that kind of money to install AC for the sake of a few days a year. Sales of fans go through the roof though ;)

Funnily enough, we're not set up for extreme cold either. The kind of snow you guys handle in Canada? Man, our whole country would shut down and be unable to function. When we get a bit of more serious snow, and roads close/cars get stuck, you guys would probably look and laugh and wonder how the government/city councils don't have enough salt or decent ploughs, and it would look like nothing compared to what you deal with.

Considering we used to be an empire, we're pretty rubbish at even managing to handle our own weather...
Yep we are lol and yep I was surprised about pothos, I’m gunna try peace lily coz that’s okay :)

Edit - never mind peace lily is also toxic lol

Most reactions

Back