Sandstorm

joecoral

Fishaholic
Reaction score
no matter where i position the inlet and spraybar for my external filter, it always seems to blow my sand away from the glass opposite it.
is there any way i can stop this?
my inlet is currently it the rear left corner and the spraybar is along the back, roughly and inch below the surface and aimed forwards and upwards slightly

If you have taps on the filter, reduce the flowrate with the OUT tap.... never use the inlet tap though !

i can only adjust the flow to both, not individually, its like a lever you push forward/pull back to alter the flow

Easiest way I have found to deal with this is to make the holes in your spray bar a little bigger. That way the water coming out will not be under so much pressure. or simply drill more of the same sized holes to dissipate the pressure.

I too have a similar problem, but I believe this may be caused by the airstone, as it's well... just stuck into the sand in my tank, any ideas how I could make the stone less obvious but reduce this sandstorm, as it makes the water all cloudy and full of murk (If I turn the pump off, it stops), could I just suspend the airstone in the tank, a little off the substrate? I was thinking of replacing my sand with some kind of gravel, any ideas if this would be better/worse for the tank or the fish?

I too have a similar problem, but I believe this may be caused by the airstone, as it's well... just stuck into the sand in my tank, any ideas how I could make the stone less obvious but reduce this sandstorm, as it makes the water all cloudy and full of murk (If I turn the pump off, it stops), could I just suspend the airstone in the tank, a little off the substrate? I was thinking of replacing my sand with some kind of gravel, any ideas if this would be better/worse for the tank or the fish?

just raise the air stone off the sand. You may not even need the airstone if you have enough surface disturbance and flow.

Easiest way I have found to deal with this is to make the holes in your spray bar a little bigger. That way the water coming out will not be under so much pressure. or simply drill more of the same sized holes to dissipate the pressure.

this sounds like a good idea, will it definately work?

I had that problem at first too. I was using a Tunze Stream (12000 l/h) in my 260 litre tank. Stupid boy!!

:stupid:

It's all about flow rate. Reduce the flow by adjusting on the filter, making extra holes in the spray bar, anything will work which reduces the flow rate. :good:

Most reactions

Back