Sand

Fish Buddy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Does any one uses heaters throught their sand to keep it from stagnating? I read in a book that inorder to avoid these 'dead, smelly spots' you need to use 'heat wires' that heat the sand-causing convection and therefore avoiding stagnation. Has anyone heard of it or uses in sand heaters?

Never heard of it and I wouldn't try it with a regular heater either. I don't think they'd very useful either IMO.

substrate heaters are reccommended buy companies that sell plant systems... as you say, it causes convection of water in the substrate. most plant growers that i have spoken to have actually told me that they dont do anything for their plants.

I haddn't heard of the systems being used to stop sand going dead though but it makes sence... thats if there is enough room between the sand for water to flow...

anyway the systems are a flexable heating 'wire' that is 's'd across the bottom of the tank and suckered to the glass. have a look >HERE<

anyway the systems are a flexable heating 'wire' that is 's'd across the bottom of the tank and suckered to the glass. have a look >HERE<

Yes, that's exactly what I was wondering about... : )
But maybe instead of wires, have what people use for lizards -undertank (not gravel, tank) pad heaters and stick it to the bottom. But I'm wondering if it would be too hot... ?

O well, thanks guys ; )

I have used heat mats to heat very small tanks with good results.

Most reactions

Back