Sand....

AllenLeicester

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Myt sound and simple and stupid question but hows the best way to put sand into ur tank for the first time? Sand first the add your water or visa versa?? Cheers :)

Water then add sand as adding water to sand will just cause a huge sandstorm.....either would be fine if there are no fish in the tank though!

wouldnt adding sand first be a heck of a lot easier though?

so you can adjust the sand and spread it out evenly before the water is in...

then you can break the waters impact on the setup by using a plate or something to reduce the waters impact as your pooring the water in..

in my opinion putting the sand in after the water would cause a big mess, and you might not like the way it settles once it all hits the bottom of the tank\

if you put the sand in first this way you can even it out, spread it, ect.

Myt sound and simple and stupid question but hows the best way to put sand into ur tank for the first time? Sand first the add your water or visa versa?? Cheers :)

I'm in the same boat as you Allen,
Hoping to start mine this weekend i'd be interested on what you decide to do black sand, white sand? Planted or rock?
Good luck it'll be interesting to see how you get on! Keep us updated.

Sand first then add water! If you try to put sand through water it is very messy and cloudy.

Also make sure you give your sand a real good clean even if the pack says prewashed :)

Sand first then add water! If you try to put sand through water it is very messy and cloudy.

Also make sure you give your sand a real good clean even if the pack says prewashed :)
I stole a pillow case from my son (Bad me I know) and filled it with sand then washed it through with a hose in the garden
Seemed to work

Fill the tank with the sand, put a dinner plate down, then pour water over the dinner plate slowly, no cloud if you do it right.

Rinse your sand well. fill the tank half way then put the sand in a container fill container with water lower it in to the tank and the sand will pour out nicely with little clouding if you keep it low. The cloudiness goes away in a few days. It's also kind of fun to do it this way.

You can do it either way. I think sand and then water is easiest.

For the sand and then water method, your sand needs to be damp (it should be anyway because you rinsed it). Spread it out as desired on the bottom of the tank. Take a plate and use that to pour the water onto so it doesn't disturb the sand so much.

For the water and then sand method, take cupfuls or bowlfuls of well-rinsed sand (whatever is bigger and still fits in the aquarium) and quickly sink them down to the bottom. Dump the sand out on the bottom. Repeat until you've got all the sand on the bottom and then even it out. This avoids the sand all over the tank, it stays on the bottom.

Both ways work.

Most reactions

Back