Sand Substrate

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

catfish4ever

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I want to change my gravel to sand to further benefit my catfish. How do i accomplish this? Should i drain the water to 30% and remove gravel and dump sand in? I don't want to stress the fish, please help me.

Yes, you can lower the water level and remove the gravel while the fish are still in the tank as long as you don't have too many fish in there the stress level should be fine.  Just like a large water change really..............

To add the sand I learned a new trick recently by watching a Youtube video.  Pour the sand into a clean water bottle, lower into the tank face up until the bottle is full of water, and then turn it upside down allowing the sand to flow out.  The idea is that the heaviest parts of the sand will fall out due to gravity but the dusty light parts that cloud the water will remain in the bottle.  It worked like a charm when I topped off the sand in my tanks recently.  

Here's a link: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MIb_8A5DWI

Ruskull said:
Yes, you can lower the water level and remove the gravel while the fish are still in the tank as long as you don't have too many fish in there the stress level should be fine.  Just like a large water change really..............

To add the sand I learned a new trick recently by watching a Youtube video.  Pour the sand into a clean water bottle, lower into the tank face up until the bottle is full of water, and then turn it upside down allowing the sand to flow out.  The idea is that the heaviest parts of the sand will fall out due to gravity but the dusty light parts that cloud the water will remain in the bottle.  It worked like a charm when I topped off the sand in my tanks recently.  

Here's a link: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MIb_8A5DWI

Thank you so much, i know pretty much most now but i still have one question, if i do have quite a few catfish in the tank should i remove them into a container or will this stress them out? Thanks
smile.png
 also how long do i have to leave the sand to settle or can the fish go on it straight after?

List
- lower water levels
-remove fish and decor
- place fish in container and cover to reduce stress
- take out the gravel
- wash the sand and place it in the tank
- make sure the new water is of similar temperature
- put fish and decor back in the water

I think it would be less stressful for the fish if you put them in a big container with some of the ornaments and plants from the tank and with an airstone, rather than taking the gravel out and then adding the sand, while they are in the tank.

anteatergoanna said:
I think it would be less stressful for the fish if you put them in a big container with some of the ornaments and plants from the tank and with an airstone, rather than taking the gravel out and then adding the sand, while they are in the tank.

I agree.  Some fish can remain in the tank though if it's too much trouble to catch them.  In my experience it's the chasing them around the tank with the net that stresses them more than the new temporary home.

If it was me doing it i would completely empty the tank,just put the fish in another tank if you got one or a good sized storage box with the heater remember to lower the temp on it or you will have fried fish it means you get to work at your tank without stressing the little guys out etc and you can design your tank to the way you think your fishies will like etc but thats just my opinion :)

Most reactions

Back