Sand Substrate for Corydoras

Az3rix

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just recently got gifted a 55 gallon tank and it came with a hood lid and some CaribSea Super Natural Moonlight Sand. I already plan on switching the lid so that I can add some better lighting as the hood it came with has some led lights attached, but I am not sure if they will be bright enough for the plants I have planned for the tank.

It did come with a few bags of the CaribSea Super Natural Moonlight Sand and I was planning on using just Pool Filter Sand to make it easier for the Albino Corydoras I have planned for the tank. However, looking into it, it seems the Super Natural Moonlight Sand is also perfect for the Corydoras. My main question is does anyone have any experience with these? Should I just stick with the Caribsea Super Natural Moonlight Sand for the substrate? I already plan on using Root tabs for the plants in the tank. Any advice on this sand would be great, thanks! I attached a picture of what the bag exactly looks like. The one I have in hand is open and I don't want the sand and all to spill while taking a picture of it, haha.

Attachments

• image_2024-09-03_124705145.png
    image_2024-09-03_124705145.png
    297.6 KB · Views: 21
It should be fine so long as they are able to safely sift it without it being abrasive. If it's larger grained than most pool filter sand, I'd opt for another kind.

Some folks don't like the super fine play sands, some do.

Usually people opt for the play sands and pool filter sands because they're cheaper than aquarium market brands of sand, BUT if you already have some, and it's of the right grain size, you should be good to go

It should be fine so long as they are able to safely sift it without it being abrasive. If it's larger grained than most pool filter sand, I'd opt for another kind.

Some folks don't like the super fine play sands, some do.

Usually people opt for the play sands and pool filter sands because they're cheaper than aquarium market brands of sand, BUT if you already have some, and it's of the right grain size, you should be good to go
Gotcha, thanks for that!

Hello everyone!

I just recently got gifted a 55 gallon tank and it came with a hood lid and some CaribSea Super Natural Moonlight Sand. I already plan on switching the lid so that I can add some better lighting as the hood it came with has some led lights attached, but I am not sure if they will be bright enough for the plants I have planned for the tank.

It did come with a few bags of the CaribSea Super Natural Moonlight Sand and I was planning on using just Pool Filter Sand to make it easier for the Albino Corydoras I have planned for the tank. However, looking into it, it seems the Super Natural Moonlight Sand is also perfect for the Corydoras. My main question is does anyone have any experience with these? Should I just stick with the Caribsea Super Natural Moonlight Sand for the substrate? I already plan on using Root tabs for the plants in the tank. Any advice on this sand would be great, thanks! I attached a picture of what the bag exactly looks like. The one I have in hand is open and I don't want the sand and all to spill while taking a picture of it, haha.
You can mix CaribSea and play sand. I started a tank with CaribSea Sunset Gold and ended up adding Quikrete play sand. It's indistinguishable. They're both a soft sand that's suitable for corys.
The biggest difference is the price. IMO, that's the only functional difference. Play sand is much less expensive.

The main difference between both is that the CaribSea Super Natural Moonlight will absorb nutrients and redistribute it to plants while filter sand wont.

it's a big difference, Filter sand is made to trap impurities and is more difficult to clean than specialty aquarium sand.

If you have the elite stuff, go for it.

The main difference between both is that the CaribSea Super Natural Moonlight will absorb nutrients and redistribute it to plants while filter sand wont.

it's a big difference, Filter sand is made to trap impurities and is more difficult to clean than specialty aquarium sand.

If you have the elite stuff, go for it.
Ooooh, gotcha gotcha. Well since it seems Caribsea is the best choice, I will put that for the substrate instead, thanks!

Most reactions

Back