Sand Sifting Starfish

peesa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Since u always know the answer to my problems can you help me with another?!?

One of my sand sifting starfish is travelling up the tank glass and is now near the top of tank, i have never seen them leave the sand tank bed before.

Is this ok behaviour could there be a reason he is trying to get up there? he has been doing it for the last 15mins climbing up glass falling down and trying again, other starfish seems fine chilling on sand.

any ideas??

Well after just finishing this post he has settled back on the sand....weird! I checked stats just incase and everything is clear, i would have thought if anything was wrong shrimps would have been first to find their way out and noone else seems uneasy so i think he may just have fancied a little wander ill keep an eye on him though

Useualy climbs the glass looking for food because there isn't enough on/in the sand bed. You said "one of my" Does this meen you have more than one? how bigs the tank?

HELLO

MY SAND SIFTING STAR ALSO SHOWED THIS EXACT BEHAVIOUR. ALWAYS WAS ON THE BOTTOM UNTIL ONE DAY DECIDED TO CLIMB THE GLASS EVERY DAY. SINCE I ADDED A CHILLER TO REGULATE THE TEMP AT A STEADY 24-25 DEGREES, IT THEN STAYED ON THE BOTTOM ANDF HAS NOT DONE IT SINCE. DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS COINCIDENCE OR WHETHER IT WAS AFFECTING THE STARFISH. PREVIOUSLY MY TEMP HAD BEEN AROUNT TH 28-30 MARK DUE TO HEAT FROM MY T5 UNITS.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

my sand sifter does this reguarly. even in a 220 gallon system it will wander around and once it finds the glass it will climb it to the top only to drop off and fall to the bottom again.

Mines doing the climb up the glass as I write this!

First time ive seen it do it!

Daft thing!

Mine has been doing this lately, I seriously doubt this is an issue due to food as my tank is teaming with life.

I can pin it down to heat as it has only been doing this when its been really hot. When it cools down he goes to the bottom of the tank.

the star hasnt done this again that ive seen so im not too worried about it ill just assume its something they do every now and then thanks for the replies!!

i wouldnt worry m8, if anything i could be eating the algea on the glass but also just finding other ways for food, mine used to do it a lot but i changed to argonite sand he aint done it since and heat temp wise i can say min acts fine and its constantly at 28 now in this gay heat!

Sandsifter starfish arent algae eaters they are hunters of pors and other small creatures that live under the sand. They will eat other detrius but they prefer a high volume micro organisms in the sand.

yer true but was strange to see star fish mouth marks on the glass :) think mines a veggie :p

Most reactions

Back