Sand Is Turning Black!

pjandnoo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can you guys offer some advice about sand turning black? I understand its down to excess bits of food going bad but I try to clean the sand as best as poss once a week and it keeps happening. I also have live plants in the tank too and some of these have caused to the sand to turn too. I have lowered the level of sand at the front of the tank to about 1cm and try to feed the fish there especially the cories. I am going to invest in some snails soon to try and turn the sand over for me. Also can you guys offer some tips to cleaning sand during my weekly cleanup?

Help :blush:

I use a reef one syphon to clean my tanks and I swirl it above the sand an inch or so to lift up the poop and food from the surface. It takes practice but you get the hang of it eventually.
I also stir my fingers through the sand regularly each week to prevent any dead spots in the sand :)

Thanks for the reply Jennybugs, its tank cleaning day today so will try what you suggested. Getting lots of brown algae too which is becoming a pain and might have an issue with swim bladder disease in the tank :crazy:

Most reactions

Back