Sand In Tanks

oliesminis

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
ive got a tank with colourfull gravel which i hate, so i am replacing it with sand

a couple of questions

should i just take the gravel out and put the washed sand in
can i get sand from b&q if it is thoroughly washed

its a 10g tank which has been established for over 2 years.

If its been running with the gravel in there for awhile, I wouldn't take it all out in one hit - I'd take a third out, then do a 50% water change to pick up the murk that'll come up. Repeat over 3 days is how I'd do it, then add the sand.

You can get silver sand, builders sand, play sand etc...personally I use argo's play sand because its cheap (£2.50 for a 15kg bag) and easily available.

you can use the argos play sand (you have to wash it I think its much cheeper than B&q sand)

Not sure on changing it over though....I am yet to do it...maybe a job for the bank holiday weekend.

when i changed my tank over form gravel to sand i took out the decor syphoned off about 3/4 of the water gave the gravel a seriously heavy vaccing then got a dustpan from dustpan and brush set drilled holes in it ( makes a fantastic gravel scoop) scooped out the gravel replaced it with the washed sand and re-filled the tank. it was clear the next morning. i used argos playsand

ive got a tank with colourfull gravel which i hate, so i am replacing it with sand

a couple of questions

should i just take the gravel out and put the washed sand in
can i get sand from b&q if it is thoroughly washed

its a 10g tank which has been established for over 2 years.

I have JUST done this with my current setup..

I basically removed half the gravel (left fish in) was very messy but i have a good filter so cleared within 30mins.

And put new much more natural gravel down.

I too was going to do sand however heard it wasnt as easy for live plants to root. (I had a horrible blue/orange mix of gravel).

I will be doing the other half in about 4-5 weeks time. :)

Its an easy process main problem was catching the lampeyes and tetras.

change it all at once its less hassel, unless you have an undergravel filter. because there is nothing beneficial in the substrate apart from a little bit of hydrogen sulphide, but youll loose it anyway, but you will get it back eventually

Ive taken all the gravel out and have started adding sand, the waters gone cloudy due to the dirt and im waiting for that to settle to lay out decor and plants

Most reactions

Back