Salty's Easy To Follow Moss Wall And Biological Filter Guide

saltynay

Patron
Reaction score
I strongly dislike the commercially available internal filters which come in such an unsightly and boring container they are however a neccessity to keep our aquatica alive and happy :rolleyes:. They also come in an awkward shape which is difficult to easily hide creating a black skyscraper in our near faultless tankspace.

My filtration and moss wall tile is 355mm x 203mm x 36mm (LxHxD) which has a filter area of 0.001441 m³ compared with the fluval 1+ which has 0.000148 m³ which is 9.7 times the surface area and potential for bacterial growth and biofiltration. My tank is 20L and I previously had a fluval 1+ filtering now my tank water is filtered 37.5 hour without a strong current due to the natural dampening effect of the sponge, thus restricting surface movement which could lead to loss of CO[sub]2[/sub] not good for you plant lovers.

Equiptment checklist
(prices don't really relate as I was buying mass quantities to allow for room for a LOT of error I still have enough let over to build another tile check dimensions before you start)

1. Plastic grid with approx 15mm square holes, must be atleast twice the length of the area you wish to cover. I got 6meters x 0.5meters from my local garden centre for £3
2. Approx 40 zipties (cable ties) 100mm in length £0.75
3. 1.5 meters Eheim aquarium piping (12/16) £8 for 3 meters
4. 0.5 meters Eheim aquarium piping (9/12) £6 for 2.2 meters
5. Maxi-jet 750 £24.99 (not essential I can use my fluval 1+ and 2+ as the hose fits on the outlet I preffered the pressure of the 750l/hr and it doesn't produce any extra current)
6. T junction for 12/16 tubing £2
7. Christmas tree moss £5
8. 6x Suction cups with 6mm air line clips £2.50 (available from your LFS)
9. Fluval 4+ 4 pack of coarse filter sponges £5
10. Match stick (temporary)
11. Large thick sewing needle (thinner standard needles had tendency to bend) (parental supervision required)
12. 1.25 meters Fishing line
13. Scissors
14. Sharp knife (parental supervision I cut myself 3 times)
15. Tape measure
16. 1 hour of time
17. Cold beers (aged 18+ ofcourse)

total: £57.50 by me yours should come out to cheaper

Step by step: (prepare a suitable working area before hand)(click on pictures to enlarge and click on subsequent images to enlarge further)

1. Confirm measurements of area, mark and cut filter sponges to size mine were 185mm (save scraps)

2. Line up sponges next to each other making sure all are level. Thread the large needle with fishing line, providing a small loop at one end (opposite end to needle)

3. Push needle through the first sponge approx 15mm from the top of sponge, pull the slack through until 20mm of line and the loop is left on the side. Place matchstick through loop and pull tight

4. Thread all the sponges together using a ruler to check that the thread is uniform across the internal of the sponge as you pierce the sponge. Do this at 3 heights. I did 20mm, 90mm and 160mm

5. Check sponges fit when conjoined and work out how much of the spare sponge scraps need to be added to ensure a tight fit.

6. Measure and cut out the plastic grid to which the whole structure will be contained remember to cut at double the length of the area you wish to cover. Cut and measure the 16/12 hose to length twice, allow for a loop from one side to the other and back again. Mine are 700m x2

7. Start attaching the hosing to the grid using zip ties. Try and create as gentle a curve as possible, so that there are a limited number of kinks which may restrict flow and create dead spots in the filter.

8. Do the same for the other tube and using the knife make V shaped cuts in the tubing on the side that isn't covered by the grid (see diagram), so that you can visibly see through to ensure water escapes when turned on. The angles must be different for the sides of the cut for the flow to self regulating ensuring that the fist vents don't let all the pressure go to waste. The elongated angle side needs to be opposite to the theoretical predominant flow of water as shown, half way along the S bend you will need to change direction of the V due to water entering from both ends equally.

9. Where the two ends of 16/12 meet use the 9/12 tubing with 2 zip ties per joint as supports to ensure the water doesn't leak under pressure (you can also use the 9/12 tubing for the curves spreviously mentioned as it is easier to bend this upto user disgression). Secondly use the 9/12 and the aforementioned technique to extend the circuit tubing out of the top of the grid and give sufficient length to reach your pump/ fluval filter, I reccomend you just leave along amount on and cut once in the tank.

10. Take your preprepared filter sponges and lay them on top of the pipes then cover with an EVEN layer of moss if it is uneven you may end up with patching of the moss and leaves that are covered may rot and brown due to lack of light.

11. Now seal up with zipties ensuring it is secure and impossible for anything to move apart. Use the needle and fishing line again to reinforce any rows where moss appears loose and easily escapable

12: Attach the suction cups on the reverse side which will be against the tank wall ensuring they are tight against the grid and unlikely to move without excessive force. A view of the other side:

13. Add the T-valve so that the loop is complete with one intake, you will need 3 small lengths (40mm) of 16/12 to adapt the piping from the 9/12 currently going out of the loop to the T-connector and from the T-connector to the pump. I have made mine super long so that it is more accessible for experimentation :shifty: yours only needs to be long enough to reach the pump/ fluval filter.

Sample pics (to be extended as stated)

Straight after building:

1 month:

2 months:

6 months:

Notes

My shrimp seem to like to molt behind the filter (they walk over the top above water line) as its a restricted area where they aren't disturbed I am currently think of a way to cut them off completely. So far it seems safe for them to molt there but I do check every time I look at the tank incase one gets stuck for an extended period. So far had 2 molts behind it with no casualties. I have also noticed a new behaviour in my amano's they like to bask in the morning they aren't trying to escape and remain with only there heads just above the water line. I have heard cases that they can be out of the water for upto 24hours and survive so I gave them a ramp incase they were trying to escape and put water pots all around my room for them to find a new home if they wished. None left over the past month.

I used my fluval 1+ filter to power the loop in the hope that it will speed up the cycling of the new filter sponge

The water pressure may cause loose substrate such as sand to be moved if it is exposed directly to an outlet in a tube this can be easily fixed with some insulation tape to divert outlet in the tubing and silicone to ensure it stays in place or just move the tubing slightly

Air bubbles are normal for the first couple of days of running however if prolonged then you will need to discover the source. Shaking the pump whilst underwater should help release any trapped air and if it continues you may have a tiny leak at a joint.

Finale a basking shrimp enjoying the morning sun

08032009609.jpg

great guide, very nice!

i like the piccies too,

good job ;)

:good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

Thanks I am hoping some people find it informative and useful especially once its matured it should (in theory) look great and be an excellent home for fry, shrimplets and small organsims

I like the idea... but i am SO confused.

More up close pictures of said V cuts?
More detail on how the water actually flows?
How does this even work?
Does water flow out of the V slits to the front of the filter?
If so did you make less at the start of the tubing so that water makes it to the actual end of the sponge?
Is it still connected to a filter?
Just a pump? (i know your using your old fluval NOW, but that wont be perm)
A video?
Closer pics? (Re size your images!)

Water flows from the pump, which sucks water from the tank, (i assume its an inline pump) then pumps it into the green hoses which form one long S essentially. This S is covered in V slits so that the water shoots out of them behind the moss forcing water through the sponge, and consequently through the moss.

If that is NOT the case then i have less then no idea what you tried to do here.

Looks cool though.

-ChairmanWood

I like the idea... but i am SO confused.
More up close pictures of said V cuts?
More detail on how the water actually flows?
How does this even work?
Does water flow out of the V slits to the front of the filter?
If so did you make less at the start of the tubing so that water makes it to the actual end of the sponge?
Is it still connected to a filter?
Just a pump? (i know your using your old fluval NOW, but that wont be perm)
A video?
Closer pics? (Re size your images!)
Water flows from the pump, which sucks water from the tank, (i assume its an inline pump) then pumps it into the green hoses which form one long S essentially. This S is covered in V slits so that the water shoots out of them behind the moss forcing water through the sponge, and consequently through the moss.
If that is NOT the case then i have less then no idea what you tried to do here.
Looks cool though.
-ChairmanWood

Drawn a diagram of the V-cuts as I tried multiple times whilst building to get a clear picture but couldn't. The V is slightly askew which goes against the natural flow of the water to stop too much escaping at once. The flow direction changes halfway, so midway I stopped and put the cuts the other way round so that theoretically the angle with the longest slope was against the dominant flow.

waterdiagram.jpg

The water flows through both entrance to the pipe so there are 2 opposing currents within the S bend

It appears to be working well I won't be able to tell for sure until it is mature obviously and I am able to remove the fluval 1+ that is currently in there.

The water flows steadily into the filter sponges without a strong current being formed due to the large surface area that the water is being released through.

Yes the water flows through the front of the filter through the sponges and moss before escaping back into the tank to be sucked up in my case with 1 min and 45 seconds to start the whole loop again. Due to the angling of the V cuts the flow is self regulating so should reach a stable equilbrium throughout the tubing preventing vents at the start from releasing all the pressure before the end vents and the entire sponge not being used. I have done the slits evenly spaced along the tubing although I will admit a couple of times I screwed up and added a vent prematurely :blush:.

The permanent pump is in the equptment checklist the Maxi jet 750

Tbh there is not much to video without building the whole thing from scratch again especially as my loop is currently being tampered with to try and improve flow so it won't be shown as it should do.

To see full sized images click on the thumbnails then click on the larger image that appears and finally click again to zoom in the images are 2500x1900 which is twice the pixels of a HD television they are already closeups if zoomed in :good:

You pretty much summed it up in a nutshell with your final statement :) one addition is that the T-junction allows for the flow from one pump to be split to allow for opposing flows which should ensure that both ends receive equal water and that I don't have to seal up the tubing :crazy:.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explane it all to me!

I actually read my first post and i seemed quite short. it was due to just waking up (im in the us!) and i was a bit grumpy :blush:

I understand it all now, and only worry about the V slits getting clogged overtime with detritus / algae, easily solved by widening the hole.

All of that aside, once i finally understood it all my immediate response was

"Ingenious!"

Because it truly is, if you find this works out well for you (which i see no reason it shouldn't) ide love to see some stats, how fast it can process X ppm of so and so over time etc. Bet it will look great and grow crazily, and if the shrimp keep feeding off it, any gunk that builds up just behind / in the moss should get eaten up.

Great work and ill keep track of this project, and am already thinking of my own version!

-ChairmanWood

Atm I am getting a small amount of green spot algae and beard algae and using a toothbrush to clean it off every 3-4 water change so its not a major issue. It is growing more prominently on my fluval 1+ filter but on the 30th i will take that out. The diy filter has its own pump which is currently internally mounted but will be moved out tommorrow to be externally mounted behind the tank. I could take out the fluval 1+ out now with little effect on ammonia levels however I am going on hols the 23rd so would feel much better having both filters running and fully cycled in case there is a failure.

I have had a small issue of my guppies jumping and landing behind the filter whilst the males are annoying the females. I have fixed this by sloping my temporary lid so that it is nigh impossible for a fish to jump over the back although my endler males seem to know a secret entrance and exit through but as no other fish have squeezed through I doub't its a serious issue but I will be going over it inch by inch when I get the chance

Most reactions

Back