Saltwater Hardware Shopping List. Help!

markaj04

Reaction score
I'm planning on setting up a 55 gal long tank sometime this week. I was looking at the Fluval 404 filter, is this sufficient for a 55 gal tank? Help me with my shopping list!

-Skimmer?
-Filter -fluval404?
-Heater - certain kind?
-Sand
-Sea Salt
-Live rock?......what else?

I'm really new to saltwater fish I've had freshwater fish for nearly 2 years now. I could really use all the help I can get. Thanks!

HI and welcome :hi:.....if this is your first time getting into a marine aquarium, I would recommend that you do more reading. No one can put up a SW tank in a week...well...unless extremely well prepared. Have you been researching it out? Read any books?

The FAQ section has excellent starter articles by Great Lakes. I don't usually like to put down a menu for a first time post as I think it is more challenging for you to come up with your own list and then return here for a 'plan review' with our other members. But...to help get you going:

1) Skimmer..yes....are you in the US or UK? CPR BakPak or AquaC here...Deltec in the UK

2) Filter ..unnecessary....see the FAQ's

3) Sand and live rock..see the FAQ's..thoroughly explained in both marine and nano section FAQ's

4) sea salt..personal call, hit the search button, type in "salt, poll"....and you'll find the recent polls done here in our section on what salts are most popular.

SH

Thanks for ur help! I didn't mean i was setting it up in one week, just starting in one week ;). I'm going to take about 4-8weeks to add fish once its set up. I wanna do everything right and have a real nice setup. im deffinitly extremely new to sw fish and need to read a lot more online. I really wasn't sure what a skimmer is for, i'll read up on that, i know live rock is natures filter but Im not sure i can afford tooo much of it, but ill get as much as i can. I'll read up more and then post back sometime. again, thanks for the help its aprreciated.

Not a problem...check out the Realm of Knowledge pin for good books. The key to a great tank.....read, research, take your time, don't rush to stock it and....the only stupid question is the one not asked. :good:

SH

Hi & welcome to TFF :hi:

What you thinking using the External for

Have a look at this TFF Marine List Post that I replied & added links to

Del
:good: :good:

Most reactions

Back