Salt?

pthechemist

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could give me any advice. I have 3 bumblebee Goby's which I love but have just read that they really should have some salt in the water.

I am currently cycling my 25l tank and so all my fish are in a 130l (2 sucking catfish, 2 barbs, a guppy and a convict along with my Goby's). I know this isn't ideal but they are all getting on fine as they have loads of room. My question is as follows. Can I add salt without harming the other fish and how much should I add?

I have 2 large cat fish and a LARGE silver shark but they are being rehomed tomorrow, so any changes will be done tomorrow. I am feeding the tank with a little flake, a pinch of sinkers and live food. All fish are active and don't apear to bother each other (except the 2 barbs who occasionally nip each other).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I intend eventually to put the gobys and guppy in the 25l but it still has really high ammonia readings so for now they have a 130l luxury setting. lol

Thanks,

Phil

When the gobies have a home of their own, you could add in some sea salt, the kind they use for saltwater tanks. The rest of your fish will not do well in the salty water and the gobies can wait a week or two until you get that other tank cycled. You could even speed up the cycling by cloning your filter from the 130.

Guppies do fine in slightly brackish tanks. The rest of your fish do not. For how much salt, you will need to purchase a hydrometer. This is a device that measures the density of water. Salt water is more dense than fresh water. You add marine salt until you reach the correct density. For bumblebee gobies and guppies, you don't want to go above about 1.004. Hope that makes sense. Check out the brackish section for more info.

Most reactions

Back