Salt Adding Techniques

JawsA10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I will be leaving in a few weeks upon which time it will be my Saltwater tank's turn to be cleaned. My dad has agreed to clean it, and he knows how to add salt to the water, while using the hydrometer to test the salinity. (Not adding salt directly to the aquarium of course)

He was wondering, however, if there is an easier way to add salt to each 1 gallon container and stirring it. I know where he is coming from, as I agree it can get old after stirring and adding countless buckets of salt water to the aquarium.

So, the question is, any easier techniques?

I use a large plastic rubbish bin that hasn't been used for anything else. Fill it with freshwater, add marine salt and aerate for 24hours. Then check the salinity and adjust if necessary. You can also add buffers (calcium, bicarb, etc) if you need to. Once the levels are correct, then use a small water pump/ powerhead to pump the new water into the tank.

Wow, thats a really good idea.

:nod:

That may be the answer! In the meantime, anyone else wanna throw out an idea?

How the water evaporates, but the salt remains in the tank?

Yes. =)

I basically do the same as colin but with a smaller container. I put in a heater and power head, fill with RO, add salt and leave for 24 hours (adjusting the salinity over this period to match the tank) then just use it.

Yup, agree with Colin. Best way to do it. I actually just got my hands on a 200 gallon water storage tank which is going in the basement and will have a nice big centrifugal pump on it so I can push the water all the way upstairs to the tank. Waterchanges just got way too easy :)

Yep similar to the above:

Take one 'old man' and get him to make your RO water whilst your at work
Take the same 'old man' get him to pour your RO water into a large container with a power head and heater
Take one three year old grand child and get them to pour the required amount of salt into the container
Get the same grand child to check the SG using a refractometer
Get a nine year old grand child to check the SG

24 hrs later

Take the nine and three year old in to the room with tank
Give syphon to the nine year old
Give bucket to the three year old

stand well back

when they have completly soaked themselves but not anything else because you have covered it in towels, stand back and watch as they pour the said old water in the bath to gurgle down the drain

Take the two grand children into kitchen and watch them get the now ready salted RO water into a bucket and splosh it all across the floor (watch old man slip on floor)

Again let them loose on the syphon, but obviously this time it is the other way round

Pick up two grand children and drop them in the bath that you prepared earlier whilst they were getting soaked syphoning the new water into the tank

and Bingo :good: :kana:

Seffie x

:fish:

Take the same 'old man' get him to pour your RO water into a large container with a power head and heater
Take one three year old grand child and get them to pour the required amount of salt into the container

24 hrs later

stand well back

when they have completly soaked themselves but not anything else because you have covered it in towels, stand back and watch as they pour the said old water in the bath to gurgle down the drain

Take the two grand children into kitchen and watch them get the now ready salted RO water into a bucket and splosh it all across the floor (watch old man slip on floor)

Again let them loose on the syphon, but obviously this time it is the other way round

Pick up two grand children and drop them in the bath that you prepared earlier whilst they were getting soaked syphoning the new water into the tank

Seffie x

Incredible. :lol:

24 hrs later

stand well back

Seffie x

:rofl:

I knew I was doing it wrong, 4 year old grandson that tries to syphon up cleaner shrimps, is not quite the same :crazy:
and old man that just won't do as he is told :whistle:
can you hire yours out :rofl:

Hi.

I find a 5 gallon home brew bucket is just about right. I can manage to lift it so I only have to mix up two backets. Also I have a spare one to siphon out the tank, that way there there is no wastage as you dont have to mess around with measurements, 2 buckets full out, 2 buckets full of freshly made salt water in. Easy peasy.

Most reactions

Back