Salifert Test Kits

weezawoo

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Right I got paid today *yippee*

I really need to buy something for my set up because I want to spend money!!!

Thinking I will get my test kits, rather get new so I know they are in date and have full amount of tests in etc I was told by my lfs that tropic marin were better tests but after seeing their kits only have 20 tests or so for ammonia and nitrite and 30 for nitrate I think getting the salifert will last longer especially with a new set up.

I am looking on ebay at them and wondering what ones to get initially. Got my list of:

Ph
Kh
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

comes to about £35

is this a good price for all these or is there cheaper place to get them? Also will this do for now?

Thanks!

From what i've read here and on other sites, Salifert are the top of the line for marine test kits. I would probably exchange the KH for phosphate if it where me. As i would have thought it unlikely you'll be test KH regularly but i'm sure someone with a bit more experience will be along shortly to give you a better idea.

I wasn't sure if I needed to test it at the begining for knowing what the water is like for fish. If its phosphate I need I will get that instead :D

Well i think ammonia,nitrite,nitrate + PH is the minimum for finding out if it's safe for fish. KH is the waters buffering capacity(ability to soak up PH swings) and all phosphate tends to do is cause algea issues. Hope that helps or at least makes sense.

yup makes sense, I might be dumb just for some reason though kh was something to do with hardness which I thought affected what fish suit the water :)
thank you!

Keep the KH test as the salifert combines it with Alkilnity.

Defo get the phospahate test as phos in your tank will feed Green hair algae and also retard coral growth significantly.

When/if you do get coral you will need a calcium test kit as well as magnesium also.

Oh! Thats a good price by the way!

Thanks!! I was going to get the phos calcium and any others I need at a later date when I need them rather than buy them and not use for a few months. I will probably order them this week if I can't find any cheaper. Starting to get things moving a bit now :)

Found an even better price :D

For ones I said I wwas getting originally (nitrite, nitrate, PH, ammonia, KH) £30.85 :good: Then can also get a further 10% off!

Other tests are cheaper than where I found them before too!!

Where does everyone else get their tests from?

Found an even better price :D

For ones I said I wwas getting originally (nitrite, nitrate, PH, ammonia, KH) £30.85 :good: Then can also get a further 10% off!

Other tests are cheaper than where I found them before too!!

Where does everyone else get their tests from?

I paid between £50-£60 for 8 different salifert tests from my lfs which should have come to near the ton mark.

But if you shop around on the web you could prob get them cheaper.

4 others: calcium, copper, magnesium and phosphate would be £32.16
Not sure if I need all these but for all 9 of them would be £63.01 + 10% discount

You think I could find them cheaper?

Thats a good price. Bear in mind these kits range from £9 - £14 each so if you can get 9 for under £70 quid then its a bargain IMO

Most reactions

Back