Safe Rocks

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

amez

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was wondering, if i brought rocks from my yard to my tank, how would i clean it? With bleach, vinerger or what> Any suggestions would be great thanks.

I've always read that chemicals of any kind are a big no-no. Usually, hot water is the furthest extent of cleaning power. It's probably easier to just get some rocks at an aquarium store and run them under hot water.

Valerie

With rocks that you gather up its best (in my opinion) to scrub them with a stiff brush then boil for an hour or so.

Nah - Have to agree BB111 - spend a couple quid on some rocks from your LFS. They usually stock various types and can be placed in your tank after a hot water scrub without any worries.

Only other advice is to watch out for sharpe edges and not to pile them up if you have large fish capable of dislodging them. :S

thats just the thing, my lfs doesnt sell gravel or rocks! they sell this gravel stuff thats for driveways :( And on vaca i got some pretty river rocks and just wanted to see if i could clean them and put in my tank> so I should boil them?

Eeer OK - I see you issue. :/

If they came from a good(clean) river that already supports life I guess a good scrubb in warm water would be fine.

To be absolutely safe introduce them individually and keep a check on your water parameters.

Should look good with true river rocks. Piccy opportunity for the future? :rolleyes:

After you've cleaned them, pour a little vinegar on them, if they fizz, then they're no good for the aquarium.

gadazobe is correct...put some vinegar on them to check for limestone which can harm your fish...then boil them for 20-30 minutes...this will kill ALL bacteria on the rocks...go to your local landscaping store (like Home Depot) and take a little vinegar with you...check before you buy...

sorry if i kinda came hard on ya,
i didnt mean it that way sorry,
thats odd your dealer dont stock gravel,
maby a walmart or somewhere else,

Rocks: http://www.universalrocks.com.au/aquarium.htm And of course "Chinise rocks" too

Have you asked your local fishstore are they interested to order light rocks? E.g. chinese rocks are beautiful and you don't have to consider how to cover bottom glass either: http://www.aquahoito.info/suomi/akvaario/kivet.php (pics of chinese rocks from some finnish hobbiest homepages)

If you take rocks from outside, just rinse them well and use some brush. If you take them from lake, it might be good idea to boil them after rinse them well. It minimizes risks of getting any fish diseases from lake..

Most reactions

Back