Safe Environment For Cories

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

robyngunston

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether it is necessary to buy a cover for your thermostat? I read somewhere that if you have catfish you should as they might burn themselves on it?

Does anyone know whether it is necessary to buy a cover for your thermostat? I read somewhere that if you have catfish you should as they might burn themselves on it?

I will take the assumption you are talking about the heater, not a thermostat. I have never had my in-tank heaters covered. Never had a cory, pleco or oto get burned on one either. I have had eggs put on a heater and they get burned when the heater turns on. I do not think a well (not sick) fish would remain on the heater if it is warm.

Hi Cory_Cat :)

I've never had a problem with this, but then my tanks are kept in warm rooms and my corys are not kept in tanks that are kept at very warm temperatures. Many of them are even unheated.

While I don't think heaters are much of a problem with corys, I can see where they might be for other kinds of catfish especially sucking fish like plecos or otos. :D

Most reactions

Back